• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate (Summer VacatioN) Working Out At The Gym More

MawashiGeri60

I have a question to those karatekas who study Okinawan Goju Ryu Or Any Other Karate Style .. . . Is it possible . From what Ive heard if u lift heavy Weights at the gym and begin to train at the dojo u see a very slow YOU . ur punches get slow the kicks and hip movements ?? is this story that ive heard True ?? :o

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Working out at the gym can be beneficial for karateka and other martial artists. It can help to develop strength and power, as well as stamina and endurance.

Yes, if you train too hard and become 'muscle bound' it will slow your reactions down. However, it takes a LOT of training to get to that state. A regular session at the gym for an hour or so a couple of times per week will probably benefit your martial arts training.

Make sure that you're doing the excercise properly, though. If you're not sure get the gym instructor or a knowledgable friend to show you how to do each technique. Incorrect technique could cause you serious long term injury.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Agreed. I don't know much about weightlifting, however my boyfriend owns Arnold Schwarzeneggar's Encylopedia of Modern Bodybuilding, so I consider him semi-knowledgable on the subject. :wink:

He (my boyfriend, not Arnold :lol:) assures me that it would take a LOT of hardcore training to get too bulky. (He laughs whenever he hears someone say they don't want to lift weights because they're afraid of getting "bulky.")

~Erin

9th Kyu

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft."

~ Theodore Roosevelt

I lift and I do shotokan.

]The increase in muscle size does reduce flexability.

I lift regulary and lately have been going to the dojo twice a week.

It is definately taking a toll on my body.

I'm sore and I hurt almost everyday.