• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm currently in TKD but I plan on getting into a full-contact art eventually.

I've decided either MT or boxing. I'm sure MT would be an easier transition cause I'd get to keep my kicks, but I prefer to use my hands.

Also, though I prefer to use my hands, I just feel more comfortable moving in with a kick, then landing close in for some hands. I see this as a weakness that I'd like to phase out, so I'm leaning towards boxing. I'm 5'5", 135 lb.s, and a red belt, testing for my black stripe in a week, and I'd like to know which style you all think would be best for me. For the record I do know to look for a credible instructor and to view a class or to before I join to decide if they suite my needs.

"Arise chicken, arise!" --Billy-witchdocter.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming you have both a boxing and a MT school in your area I would say go with MT simply because it will give you more tools to work with, and any half-decent MT school will teach you half-decent boxing skills.

MT uses hands too. and elbows and knees (woo!). you should get boxing skills out of it too.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

MT! I havn't done boxing, but I think it is a lot more fun sparring when you know you can kick and you know you opponent could kick you any second. I like to watch boxing on TV and I think there are more techniques in MT and it involves the whole body, so it is more fun. I am trying to imagine what sparring would be like using only punches and punch defenses and my lower body is like tingling with boredom...hah stupid, yet amusing

Instructor:"You're not gonna be able to see if you don't cut your hair."

"Haha. Too bad."

"A martial artist who has never sparred is like a swimmer who has never entered water."

-Bruce Lee

MT! I havn't done boxing, but I think it is a lot more fun sparring when you know you can kick and you know you opponent could kick you any second. I like to watch boxing on TV and I think there are more techniques in MT and it involves the whole body, so it is more fun. I am trying to imagine what sparring would be like using only punches and punch defenses and my lower body is like tingling with boredom...hah stupid, yet amusing

alright, somethin u gotta understand from a boxer's point, the punching isn't even close to as intense as boxing punching, and something else, u see ppl get knocked the * out all the time in k1, if u were to put a boxer up to that abuse, he would take it a lot better b/c punches in boxing land much more frequently. You can step MUCH harder on your legs w/out fear of low kicks in boxing, which makes for way more powerful punches. I'm always marvelled at how ez these ppl go down in K1, and that's b/c they aren't conditioned to take head abuse like (some) pro boxers. when i started up muai thai for mma, the punches were so infrequent, and ur out of punching range for these extended periods of time, its really weird to us boxers the way u guys fight,

o and not to be cocky but boxers are better street fighters for that range and balance reason as well

look at me, i can dance, i know tae kwon do!

Yeah, he's right. Boxers do get more experience with punches and taking punches, so I guess it's really your personal preference whether you should take MT or boxing. I just said MT because that's what I do :D , no offense!

Instructor:"You're not gonna be able to see if you don't cut your hair."

"Haha. Too bad."

"A martial artist who has never sparred is like a swimmer who has never entered water."

-Bruce Lee

alright, somethin u gotta understand from a boxer's point, the punching isn't even close to as intense as boxing punching, and something else, u see ppl get knocked the * out all the time in k1, if u were to put a boxer up to that abuse, he would take it a lot better b/c punches in boxing land much more frequently.[/b]

On avg, yes, but you also gotta remember that gyms differ from coach to coach. you have some who specialize in knees, some who prefer, punching, etc. Visit the school first, see what they have to offer and determine from there. We, for example, punch ALOT and do alot of boxing drills.

you see boxers get ktfo all the time too.

You can step MUCH harder on your legs w/out fear of low kicks in boxing, which makes for way more powerful punches.

definitely.

o and not to be cocky but boxers are better street fighters for that range and balance reason as well

That's not something you can prove, nor can I, so mentioning it is pointless, as it only speculation.

I agree, if you want to box with them. But if you're clinched up catching knees with your ribs and elbows with your face, it's hard to box. It's also pretty hard to "step much harder" on your legs when they've been taken out by leg kicks. In general, legs are much longer than arms and I can kick your leg without you being able to land a punch on my face.

Pain is temporary, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars!

-=pain is weakness leaving the body=-

If there's lead in the air, there is hope in the heart!

I agree, if you want to box with them. But if you're clinched up catching knees with your ribs and elbows with your face, it's hard to box. It's also pretty hard to "step much harder" on your legs when they've been taken out by leg kicks. In general, legs are much longer than arms and I can kick your leg without you being able to land a punch on my face.

that's an awesome point but the thing is when someone's clinching w/ u they're trying to take u down if they don't know MT, and if someone's trying to take you down, there's that 80 or 90% chance they'll succeed, so one or two knees in the time ur allowed b4 your groundfighting better land clean and solid to prove your point

and as far as boxing being better is speculation, absolutely not, possibly varying from person to person, but think of the concepts of it, w/ boxing u can deliver one long combination w/out losing balance, in fact, your balance is better b/c your planted so hard on the ground, the only time i see MT being better is if your low kicks are so fast and hard they can break someone's legs or if its delivered to the knee, and everyone knows high kicks get caught and treetopped, midkicks even more. plus on the ground... ground and pound works best in a street fight b/c knees can really only be delivered in side mount and that's a 50/50 position w/ the exception of gravity, and who likes to streetfight fair??

that's an awesome point but the thing is when someone's clinching w/ u they're trying to take u down if they don't know MT, and if someone's trying to take you down, there's that 80 or 90% chance they'll succeed, so one or two knees in the time ur allowed b4 your groundfighting better land clean and solid to prove your point

and as far as boxing being better is speculation, absolutely not, possibly varying from person to person, but think of the concepts of it, w/ boxing u can deliver one long combination w/out losing balance, in fact, your balance is better b/c your planted so hard on the ground, the only time i see MT being better is if your low kicks are so fast and hard they can break someone's legs or if its delivered to the knee, and everyone knows high kicks get caught and treetopped, midkicks even more. plus on the ground... ground and pound works best in a street fight b/c knees can really only be delivered in side mount and that's a 50/50 position w/ the exception of gravity, and who likes to streetfight fair??