• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i started boxing since last week or so. I go to the local gym and sparr with my dad. I suck at boxing and want to get better, like foot movements, head movements, and make my punches faster and stronger. Any suggestions?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Did you just start boxing ? Do you have an instuctor other than your father ? Work on your endurance;aerobics. Work on a speed bag for eye-hand coordination. Run a string-line for bobbing and wieving. Have your father use some striking mitt's for target practice. I don't know much about boxing, but others here will add more. Good luck, train hard and you will get better!

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

thanks for the reply. i just started a week ago, i only box with my dad, no instructor, but my dad has boxed alot in his early days. I run about 3-5 miles every other day to stay in shape for cross country season.

Your welcome Jlee, your running is great, since you've just started, be patient, train as hard as you want (and can) seek out professional boxer's, literature on boxing (research the author(s)) and look at your progress in terms of 1 year, 2 years, etc...I believe that if you truly train hard you will be very happy in 3 to 4 years in your boxing abilities.

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

You will just get faster, stronger with time. You might wanna add some pushups/crunches to your running aswell, so you can train endurance AND strength. Practice is the key.

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

also you should watch other boxers, like the boxing on tv, professional boxing and watch how they move and punch. This should teach u a bit, cause it teaches me. And yea jus keep practicing

Dont approach me, I wont approach u.

Dont insult me, I wont insult u.

• 1 month later...

I'm not saying this just because I'm a fanatic...this will truely help you.

Read the Tao of Jeet Kune Do, Lee took quite a bit from western boxing. In the book he outlines how to throw strikes faster and more powerfully, and you could probably even use the stancework and training.

To condemn the art of another is to condemn your own as well. We all have the same origin.