• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

karate philosophy VS. female vanity.

k4karate

hi all,

i am a young female who recently started to attend a suburban dojo

in my small community. i am new to martial arts and knew that it would be both a mental and physical challenge. i chose to enter it hoping i could better understand myself and improve my mental outlook.

i do believe that i am in good company at my dojo (many students show hard work and dedication), however, i feel like an outsider because i know most of the students feel as though i am nothing more than a vain female who wants to take part in karate simply as a novelty. i do wear make-up to class and am most always well dressed, but that is how i present myself everyday. i am struggling to re-evaluate my priorities and goals, and chose karate to help me with this. i notice that the other female students are not this way, they do not focus so much on there apperence. i've always been thought to take pride in what i look like, but does this go against the philosophies taught in karate? is it really so important that i change my mind set on beauty in order to focus more on my art form?

Yes, I can wear this while doing karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forums! You bring up an intersting thought, "how can I look good and kick butt at the same time?". Well, to be honest, who cares? I once gave private and small group lessons to a cosmetologist whom I knew well out of the dojo. To describe her as "prissy" was an understatement, but when we trained it was all business, and she was a great student. So I say to you, don't worry about others concern about your being well-groomed on the outside, worry about being well groomed on the inside. If others are voicing negative opinions to you it is their problem, not yours.

Focusing on your appearance does not go against the philosophies of Karate, however, one can focus on it too much therefore detracting from focus on training when it is time to train. You don't have to change your mindset on beauty to focus on your martial art, but you must strive to remember when learning takes precedence over worrying about your appearance. Am I saying to not put on makeup or dress nicely before class? No, it shows confidence and self respect, but in time you may see that you are accepted by your fellow students just as you are and not feel the need to wear make up or dress a certain way. Martial artists can be some of the best people in the world, one of the strong points is that they accept you as you are. Don't be afraid to be whomever you are. People will like or dislike you based on you, not because of your clothes or make-up, at least the ones that matter.

Hope this helps.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

well personally i think you should leave the makeup at home.

if you are doing sparring drills, self defense drills, or even different types of workout drills your face may come in contact with other students.

The last thing anyone wants to do is to clean off another students make up from their cloths or gear or skin.

Its about respect...

you are there to workout you are going to sweat.... if you are trying hard you should be anyways..... i am sure you dont want to have your makeup running either....

Jewelry is also a big nono in the dojo...

can get it caught snagged or broken... either bad fo ryou or bad fo rthe person who gets scratched or snagged on it.

the karate Dojo should be a place where you humble yourself and through all else out to learn.... or at least as close as you can come to it.

It isnt a place to worry about impressing others.

Of course good hygene should be used at all times, as in cleaned and kempt feet and toenails, bathed and deodorized body, and no brushed teeth.

Nothing worse then having a funk and not having anyoen want to train with you.

oh one thing i forgot to add.

I highly recommend not wearing colognes or perfume either.

some peopel can have reactions to it that are negative.

I recommend wearing just plain old unscented deoderant.

As a teacher I have had student come up to me to ask for help in confronting others who have worn fragrances, makeup, or who have odor issues...

its no fun for anyone to deal with :/

Nothing wrong in careing about your appearence. People will take you serious as you show them you are working hard. Like it or not the world passes judgement on everything and everyone. We have to alway prove ourselves to people like it or not. Give it a few weeks or a month and if you train hard and show you are really into it they won't care how much makeup you have on.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

BTW I do understand the point made above about others not wanting make up on their Gi or to smell your perfume.

Again there is a diffeance is just going like you go to school, the movies, or store, than like if your going on a date. EX you dont have to wash your hair before karate class. Its going to get dirty but you prob. do need to take a bath before karate class you will stink. LOL

Good luck and just train hard.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

let me reasure you that my make-up is light, so there is no problem with it running onto anyone's gi. i would also like to clarify that i do not put make-up on to attend karate class, i attend my classes right after work, so i'm always well groomed. but being new, i do feel subconcious about others judging me.

going back to the original reason for the post....

i was expected to be polished from a very young age, this is not uncommon for young women in japanese or any asian culture. in my mother's culture (japan), a woman is expected to make herself up, even just to go out grocery shopping, it is not considered vanity, but almost a duty to represent herself this way. but here in north america, you are looked at as vain and not meant to be taken seriously.

my sensei once told me that many martial artists were artisians, and valued beauty highly, so why is it considered a distraction or unimportant?

i was always taught that when you look your best, you feel your best.

afterall, you should always feel good when you are preforming karate, no?

Edited by k4karate

i was always taught that when you look your best, you feel your best

Sounds right to me, there is nothing wrong with looking nice going to class. The only people who would consider you a distraction should re-evaluate their priorities in the dojo.

May I ask, why are you so concerned about what others think about your personal grooming habits? Who said something to you? Most peole won't be so concerned with a matter that is so far from martial arts training unless it is a matter of spite.

i was always taught that when you look your best, you feel your best

Sounds right to me, there is nothing wrong with looking nice going to class. The only people who would consider you a distraction should re-evaluate their priorities in the dojo.

May I ask, why are you so concerned about what others think about your personal grooming habits? Who said something to you? Most peole won't be so concerned with a matter that is so far from martial arts training unless it is a matter of spite.

hi, i just finished my forth class in go ju ryu, and my dojo does not have any manuels printed yet. i don't know alot of things so sometimes i have to ask about even the most basic things. i always wait till after class or in the change room before class. like just last week i asked; "how do i know when to address someone as sempai?" and the girl replied "it should be obvious." that's all she said and turned around. i was never told how to address other members of the dojo through belts. i would address them as sempai if i was introduced to them as sempai. it was a simple enough question, there was no reason to be smug. but it's just small things like that. i don't talk too much at the dojo, just my "hi" and small talk, so there isn't much certain students are judging me on besides my appearence.

Hmmmmm, ok, sounds like you ran into someone having a bad day or they were a schmuck. Either way, don't take it too hard, the world is full of both. Just remember to look at the rose and not the thorns (although some people can be pretty thorny! :D ). If you have problems with one person, train hard and beat them in sparring :wink: , if you have problems with alot of people in your dojo, look for another school. In my years of training I have only found one school that was xenophobic and that could be traced to the instructor, but that is a long story.

BTW most schools use sempai for brown belts and above with the exception of the sensei of course. But if your not sure, "sir" or "ma'am" when speaking to a higher rank can never steer you wrong.