• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

adult in karate class not wear head gear & NOW READ UPD

should i wear head gear if the adult do not iam 37 for sparring  

22 members have voted

1. 1. should i wear head gear if the adult do not iam 37 for sparring

• yes
    • no

I personally dont wear it, i find it to be too restrictive and hinders me more than anything. I like the freedom of not having a helmet or headgear, but i have been practicing the arts for many years. I would suggest that if you are new and not comfortable with sparring yet then you should go for the added protection and wear the head gear.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....could you stop pointlessly replying in your own thread.

it's very, very annoying.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

He is really not trying to be annoying he is looking for some constructive comments about something he has a legitimate question about.

You should have seen the looks I got first time I showed up at a big test gathering when it was the turn for my grades test. We got on our gear and then everyone in the gym realized I had on a white helmet. Now this was a day when about 200 tested and I was the only adult who wore a helmet all day long. And it was the only white helmet in the bunch. The kids all had black helmets on.

But as we moved across the floor there were a lot of potential slip or trip hazards. We were in a grade school gym with an opened divider in the middle and there was a weird seam for the divider that ran the across the whole middle of the floor. And unfortunately that was the area of the room I got placed in.

Now with my balance, which is at time compromised, the foam helmet may not sound like major protection but it was so much better than nothing in the event my head where to meet the floor up close and personal.

Everyone has their own level of what is reasonable and safe. And their own comfort level.

For the beter most I choose to wear a helmet (I am 26). Some Kicks and Punches are hard and the helmet is there to sofen the blow. Why I personally use one is to protect my brain. Concussions have ended a large deal of athletes careers (Steve Young, Brent Lindross to name a few). People that get hit in the head one to many times often think a little slower too. Personally, I don't want brain damage ! Some Competitions around my area will not let any competitor compete (all belts) if they are not wearing a helmet. Helments in my club are enforced up to black belts, even some of the black belts wear helmets (even thou it's optional) All it takes is one kick or punch to connect in the right spot. (nobodys perfect, althou everyone strives to try to be)

Just one final thought, Helmets have there pros and con's. I choose to wear one because I have to go to work the next day afterclass thinking clearly.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

Matt, it's not important to have a topic going, but to communicate. Asking questions and giving answers. Nobody gets a prize for keeping a topic alive, as it's not important. You got some good answers and we all adviced you to wear protection if you feel like that. The topic reached it's purpose. That of giving you the information needed. And tpics stay here (as far as I remember).

It's no use taking important disk space just to artificially keep a topic going. Not to mention is indeed annoying and it is considerred spamming the topic.

Now I've hijacked it :D

So let it rest. Try to read other topics and come with your answers and even try new ones as a question arises.