• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

adult in karate class not wear head gear & NOW READ UPD

should i wear head gear if the adult do not iam 37 for sparring  

22 members have voted

1. 1. should i wear head gear if the adult do not iam 37 for sparring

• yes
    • no

Have there been any incidents where people have been hit in the head?

Personally I don't wear head-gear unless specifically told to as I find it restricting, not to mention hot and sweaty, but if it makes you feel happier then you should be able to if you desire.

You pay the fees, you should not be doing anything that makes you feel uncomfortable. However you may feel it 'alienates' you from the other adults, and there may be some ribbing I guess. Depends what the other people in your club are like, and if there's a lot of machismo.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have ANY doubts about whether to wear head gear or not then wear it.

Personally, I don't wear head protection, but other adults at my dojo often do. It isn't an issue - we have to make our own choice about what level of sparring protection gear we all wear (although groin cups and gumshields are required).

The best thing for you to do, if you're not sure, would be to go and have a chat with your Sensei and see what they think about it.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

At about your age I was the first adult in the dojo who chose to wear headgear. I had a concern about how my head might fear in a fight with the floor.

As time passed we gained some new adult students who also wore headgear. Then we began to notice something. It was general the adults with a higher degree of education who were wearing the headgear. Think about that.

As time passed headgear was univerally sold to all students when they bought their sparring gear.

Like everyone is saying, it is a personal choice.

Personally, sparring gear drives me NUTS, and I think that it's only good for padding the person's hands and feet so they don't hurt themselves on your skull!

That and I get major tunnel vision when wearing gear, and my sense of hearing is greatly diminished. This one is interesting, since people also say that when your body goes into an adrenaline dump, the same things often happen physiologically... so perhaps wearing sparring gear is an interesting way to train for this phenomenon?

If you only do no-contact sparring, or lite contact with no allowed contact to the head (accidents do happen) I would say that you're safe 90% of the time w/o any gear. If you're turning it up a notch, and you feel better wearing it, go for it.

But as to whether you should because other people are either too wimpy to not wear it, or too macho to wear it..... who cares what they think? Do what feels best for you :)

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

I wouldnt worry to much either way.

Headgear is not really that great at stopping shock to the brain. Sure protects the outside of the head and absorbs SOME of the shock, but the brain can still freely impact against the skull (which is what normally does the damage).

Also, looking at some of the headgear recently being sold, most are open faced and therefore wont protect the person wearing them from strikes that hit the most targeted areas of the face. i.e. nose, chin, eyes and cheeks.

Well, even though you are shorter than the other adults there it doesn't necessarily mean that you should wear headgear. Taller people can still get whacked in the head, just as short people can. However, if you feel that you need to wear the headguard then go for it! Better to be safe than sorry.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

thank you all on 8-504 i will make up my mind to get head gear

so there is time to vote and reply to this topic o.k

from matt blake karate warrior