Boxing

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations on your KF blackbelt Warlock.

From whitebelt in February to blackbelt in August - is it a McDojo blackbelt?? :brow: :D

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

edit - Ooo! Post 1000. All right you bunch of wimps, i'm a forums black belt now, so don't be messin' with me or i'll spam you to death. :brow:

we all bow down to your superior posting abilities :lol:

"Practice is the mother of all skill!"

- Mr. Barnum

edit - Ooo! Post 1000. All right you bunch of wimps, i'm a forums black belt now, so don't be messin' with me or i'll spam you to death. :brow:

Hehe, cute that he pointed himself out that way. Guess he was feeling a tad uncomfortable being 'invisible' in the masses.

Just kiddin' ya, bro! :P You ain't exactly invisable here. Congrats on th' promotion! Allways enjoy readin' your posts.

Freedom isn't free!

does anyone here train in boxing to help their martial arts?

Kenpo is adaptable enough that we can and do integrate some boxing tactics. I just had the privilage of a short workout session with some BKF people, who are masters at integrating boxing and karate principles. Simply awesome!

SGM Steve Muhammed was, and is, a pioneer of this concept. If you ever get a chance to see him, don't miss it! The man is over 20 years older than me, and moves like he's 20 years younger, with the skills of a true master. I now truly realize how little I know!

Freedom isn't free!

boxing itself is a martial art, and its really one of the best to do if youre worried about self defense (which is the cliche term for street fighting, really.) id take it over karate any day.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

boxing itself is a martial art, and its really one of the best to do if youre worried about self defense (which is the cliche term for street fighting, really.) id take it over karate any day.

yeah boxing is a martial art ,but for a street fight people will throw kicks and its good to learn how to deal with them. thats why i do both boxing and martial arts

"Practice is the mother of all skill!"

- Mr. Barnum

does steve muhammed have a website? from your description of his ability i could probably learn alot from him

I don't know if he does. Try a search for BKF (Black Karate Federation).

For a decent free manual, I talked to someone from Ringside and they have a free downloadable boxing manual at their site:

https://www.ringside.com/pdf_files/boxing_manual.pdf

You would have to be careful in integrating boxing techs and principles, though. It is a combative sport, and depends a lot on the gloves both to protect the hands and for taking shots/defense. Stances, footwork and power generation are different, but the principles can be extracted and adapted to work with most martial arts. For example, in TKD you often see them step their trailing foot out from a back stance into a front stance, then punch with the trailing hand. This is a good position for useing a punch to stop forward momentum. But, let's say you want to use it for a quick follow up strike. You've just hit his right jaw with a left jab. It connected good, and turned him away some, also brought his hands up to defend. You could settle for a lower ribcage shot, or you could do that step out as a step around onto your toes, droping the right shoulder and striking with an uppercut to the solar plex. This gets a lot of whole body torque into the strike. It also engages your entire body mass in motion to add a lot of power. Being up on your toes with that trailing leg allows you to strike deeper into your opponents center, and the step around positioned you perfectly for the shot you want instead of settling for the less effective strike. (This is my interpretation of one of the things Mr. Muhammad was talking about- your mileage may varry, but it's worth looking at and trying).

Freedom isn't free!