• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Boxing

Boxing is extremely underrated because many people don't consider it a martial art. However many fail to realize that a very good boxer would absolutely demolish alot of martial artists out there.

i agree thats becuase alot of martial artist are not as well rounded as they think they are. for example a karate man who has trainined in just karate cannot defend against the various punching combinations of a boxer. im not saying the karate man is weak i am saying that a pure karate man can not deal with the boxers speed, stamina, and change in tempo that the boxer has developed through sparring and pad drills. the boxer may have a hard time getting through the karate mans kicks but as soon as he gets close enough the boxers speed and power will quickly win the match.

"Practice is the mother of all skill!"

- Mr. Barnum

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.....i would say the effectiveness of boxers is due to the way they train and not the style.

how many martial arts train in the same manner as a boxer does?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

arent "the way you train" and your "style" the same thing.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

.....i would say the effectiveness of boxers is due to the way they train and not the style.

how many martial arts train in the same manner as a boxer does?

other than MMA and JKD i would say kyokushin karate

- Mr. Barnum

I'm sort of against boxing now, as it can cause serious injuries down the road and competition is really designed to hurt the other guy (I did box in college, by the way). It got me in great shape and everything and our coaches were excellent, but I just don't think it is a good idea anymore. (No, I didn't have a bad experience where I got beat up terribly and that made me change my mind, it is more of a long-term fitness concern).

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

arent "the way you train" and your "style" the same thing.

Not necessarily. My "style" is Shotokan - but I bet I train differently from other Shotokan stylists on these forums. In turn, the other Shotokan stylists will train differently from one another.

My training emphasises street self defence and works a lot of grappling into it; not everyone who trains in Shotokan will train the way I do, but we still share the same style.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

arent "the way you train" and your "style" the same thing

10 mile runs every morning isn't boxing.

weights/resistance/stamina training isn't boxing.

training for 5 hours every day isn't boxing.

getting into a ring and sparring heavy isn't boxing.

boxing is the style.

the above are ways of training.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

try a wing chun dummy or a hitting a makiwara. but it never hurts to expand one's knowlege. so boxing is a good idea but not the only way to imptove your punching skills.

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

try a wing chun dummy or a hitting a makiwara. but it never hurts to expand one's knowlege. so boxing is a good idea but not the only way to imptove your punching skills.

well boxing does more than help with your punching skills it helps with your movement and flow. the ways you listed to help with punching are basically exercises while boxing is an art in itself.

- Mr. Barnum