• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Boxing

does anyone here train in boxing to help their martial arts? i have been training in boxing for about 3months and my stamina, footwork, strength, and punching power have improved alot. it espeacially helps with sparring in martial arts class.

"Practice is the mother of all skill!"

- Mr. Barnum

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do some boxing as part of my classes in JKD.

I find that boxing's strategies are substantially different from those of Isshinryu. I can see how it would be of use to you from a fitness standpoint and for improving your hand ability.

Over the long term though, you may find that it doesn't mesh well with your karate. For self-defense, whatever comes about from the blending would likely be fine. But in the dojo, your instructor may feel it is inhibiting your karate development.

my style has alot of boxing in it, and my martial art instructor is also my boxing coach. so my boxing and martial art blend together really well

- Mr. Barnum

most would think different after first mawashi geri :brow: (Jodan or Gedan, you choose.)

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Well, I've met a few boxers in my time, and watched quite a few matches, and as long as you know how to deal with kicks I'd say it's a great fighting method even by itself. In fact, after I earn my black belt, I plan on getting into boxing.

"Arise chicken, arise!" --Billy-witchdocter.com

dont get me wrong, i think boxing is a great method of self-defence as most real(street?) fights ive seen were comprised mainly of devastating punches.

A lot of the punching techs in Kyokushin resemble that of western boxing.(to a degree anyways.........)

I was just being smart-a$$ before.

and as long as you know how to deal with kicks I'd say it's a great fighting method even by itself.

lucky for me boxers dont train in dealing with kicks then eh! :brow:

but really, how many people really do know how to deal with a full force mawashi-geri?

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

i think the reason why some of the punching techniques in kyukushin resemble western boxing because its creator trained in boxing while he was in the military.

- Mr. Barnum

boxing body motions are some of the best out there. Striking techniques are simple, but heavily drilled, so a boxer's small repertoire becomes ingrained, making them deadly in close quarters.

It is this intense focus on muscle memory that has most to do with boxing's overall effectiveness. Unfortunately, those who attempt to 'incorporate' some boxing techniques into their regimen, do not gain the advantages they would have been able to obtain if they had simply focused for a time with boxing alone.

As always, it is good to learn new systems, but not necessarily all at the same time. Focus heavily on one, then another, then another. Learn a system well before attempting to incorporate it with another that you've learned well. Piecemeal at halfmast is just not the way to learn.

edit - Ooo! Post 1000. All right you bunch of wimps, i'm a forums black belt now, so don't be messin' with me or i'll spam you to death. :brow:

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro