• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sport karate?

plainwhitets

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hrmm unless i am thinking of something different sport karate is the tournaments you compete in.

sparring, either point or full contact is sports karate.

at least that is how i have always understood it

There are also sport karate elements in the way that some schools teach forms/kata. A lot of sport karate is competition orientated, and Sport Karate schools will be competition based, either for sparring or forms or both.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

I compete under WTF rules. There are techniques that I use in competition that I would not use in actual self defense. It goes the other way too. There are techniques that I would use in an instant on the street, but would get disqualified in competition for using.

In competition you should have a few basic techniques that you have mastered that you can "go to" when ever you NEED that point. But since so many atheletes are competing these days, many can easly see the more common techniques coming at them. Players now have to try to develope new techniques or combinations that surprise the other player. While these may be good in competition where safty rules apply and fair play is encouraged, these would get you killed in street combat. The more "triditional" martial arts would apply there.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

hrmm unless i am thinking of something different sport karate is the tournaments you compete in.

sparring, either point or full contact is sports karate.

at least that is how i have always understood it

This is my xact thought too

in the dojo its karate as a martial art

on the street its karate as self defense

in a tournament its karate as a sport

Kicks you make a good point on your idea on competition

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"