• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Poll- Instructors or Students?

How many people here are instructors and how many are students?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How many people here are instructors and how many are students?

• Instructor
    • Student
    • Both

I was wondering how many....

As far as the Both option is concerned, I know that everyone is a student, but this option is if you are instructing and taking another martial art.

Thank you!

(Sandan)

"My art is different than yours; it consists not of defeating others, but in not being defeated."

-Tsukahara Bokkuden

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm both. I'm assistant instructor in karate, and I also still train in Shotokan karate, as well as other styles.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I'm not an assistant instructor (I was before I came back to this school), but several of us are asked to help out once in a while with lower ranks. At red belt, it's required to assist in class. So that just makes me a student :)

Laurie F

I would be surprised if anyone lists instructor solely.

the only way i could see that truely being the case is if it is some 10th degree black belt somewhere who has no interest in learning new styles and systems and just teaches in his own little world.

everyone really has some teacher or mentor

I actually start the Instructor's Course in my association, tomorrow. Although I'm sure I will be in that course for a few years before I'm ever teaching my own class. Maybe more than a few years. My instructor has asked me to start helping out as an assistant instructor, but I haven't really had to do anything yet except take over the class for a few minutes here and there while Sensei talks to newcomers.

In the end I voted only for student. But who knows what the future will bring. Which brings up a another good question. I have only been training for a couple years (not even), and had always asssumed that I wouldn't be instructing until I had been a black belt for 5 or 6 years or longer. Maybe I should start a new thread, but in your opinion, how long should you be training before you become an instructor?

Wap

"Fighting fighting. Same Same"

"But you know karate!"

"Someone always know more..."

I think it depends on the person. If instructing is something you want to do then you will find a way to make that a reality. The best way to learn how to instruct is by doing it. It has helped my a lot to have my old instructor close by so I can ask him for advice. I have been a black belt since '97 and I have recently started teaching. I still feel a little uneasy about it, but I know that I'm trying my best, and so do my students. So In answer to your question. I think that it should be between you and your instructor to decide. Instructors are great! They're only there to help.

(Sandan)

"My art is different than yours; it consists not of defeating others, but in not being defeated."

-Tsukahara Bokkuden

• 3 weeks later...

Pacificshore is right, as an "Instructor" I have learned as much as I ever did as a student. Plus as an instructor you must always learn to help your students in their journey.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

Always a student lol Try my best to be a teacher.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."