• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Brown & Black Belt Tests..

Well, so far i am a green belt (5th kyu), but i have watched every single color (around 10-11) take their test... and guess what? the black belt one wasnt ANY different. For my school, which would be considered a mcdojo by many, to go to black belt you just go up, warm up, whatever, they test you for a bunch of techniques, they ask you how to do all the punches/kicks, they give you a HUGE vocab list of about 100 words, they make you spar for about 5 minutes, they test you on seienchin and bassai-dai, they make you the bunkai for both and they make you do uppon kumite. Takes about 30 mins for the whole test.

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brown belt test was straight forward. We had to learn two katas, several techniques and show these doing them well. We had to spar against other karateka going for their belts and win 2 out of 3. I only won one (but still got through). We had to break a wooden block with our fists.

The black belt grading is much tougher. Spar against 15 opponents for 2 minutes each. Know three katas plus any of the 10 previous that they may ask you to do and three bo katas. Know all the moves and names in japanese of everything you have learned. Break brick blocks.

Unfortunately, I never got the chance to do this as I have just moved country. The grading was four days after I left. But that is life and I learned a lot during my three years and am ready for the next step into another style.

I live in China now, so probably have a fair amount of good opportunities.

:karate:

'Karate is a set of beliefs and practices that are never grasped in their totality and that generate more knowledge and more practices' Krug (2001)

Our black belt test is basically everything we tested on from White to Brown, only by now we should perfectly display proper form, speed, accuracy and technique. It takes about 6 hours to go through the test.

Then if we pass, we'll receive our Black Belts at a ceremony. We have two a year. The spring ceremony is a high energy demo show at a theatre and the fall we do a big banquet/dance. The ceremony itself, when we receive our BB, is very traditional and the belts are put on by Grandmaster himself.

If all goes well, I'll receive my BB in Fall 2005. I can't believe how fast time has passed.