• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Brown & Black Belt Tests..

My brown belt test was nothing like my shodan testing. The shodan testing was about 7 hours with all senior senior students and instructor there to help break you. The Kata, drills, Escrima, questions on Pressure point applications, the Self Defense where everyone lines up and then they come at you and you must react without the " lap grab " type warning.

the last hour is sparring one on one, two on one, sticks on sticks. But all the pushups , situps , squat thruts, jumpin jacks thrown in to wear you down.

For those who wonder why the running, pushups , situps are there it is not to check fitness it is to wear you down, to try and make you quit.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what does all that running accomplish? Is it going to make your techniques any better. IMO testing should be about your art and the techniques within it. If I wanted to run all day I would join a track team.

I have to agree with Shotochem. Some of these tests that people have been describing are absurd! I pay a lot of money for a martial arts education. I want to learn the proper technique for a side kick, or how to do forms, or how to survive when somebody attacks me.

I can run, do sit ups and push ups, and improve my fitness in my own free time. But when I'm paying to be taught, I want to be taught, not conditioned.

1st Degree Black Belt, Jhoon Rhee Style Tae Kwon Do

I wonder what does all that running accomplish? Is it going to make your techniques any better. IMO testing should be about your art and the techniques within it. If I wanted to run all day I would join a track team.

I have to agree with Shotochem. Some of these tests that people have been describing are absurd! I pay a lot of money for a martial arts education. I want to learn the proper technique for a side kick, or how to do forms, or how to survive when somebody attacks me.

I can run, do sit ups and push ups, and improve my fitness in my own free time. But when I'm paying to be taught, I want to be taught, not conditioned.

They are there to put as much stress and exhaustion into the test as possable. One of the things most MA scholols fail to address is performing the techniques under excessive stress that real life confrontation brings on. This is a subject known as Body Alarm Reaction. It is much more than adreniline hitting the system.

I'm not sure that is BAR. That is pressure testing.

BAR is when you put shock into your opponent. They are expecting one thing and you do something completely different. The body can't deal with it and for a fraction of a second shuts down, giving you time to land your technique.

Pressure testing is different, and doen't necessarily have to be done by tiring a person out with a physical fitness regime... you could just as easily put someone in the ring with someone else twice their size and warn them that the other person is going to try their best to knock their block off, and all they have to do is stop them. Acting under pressure and under the huge, ineveitable adrenaline dump that will happen.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

I'm not sure that is BAR. That is pressure testing.

BAR is when you put shock into your opponent. They are expecting one thing and you do something completely different. The body can't deal with it and for a fraction of a second shuts down, giving you time to land your technique.

Pressure testing is different, and doen't necessarily have to be done by tiring a person out with a physical fitness regime... you could just as easily put someone in the ring with someone else twice their size and warn them that the other person is going to try their best to knock their block off, and all they have to do is stop them. Acting under pressure and under the huge, ineveitable adrenaline dump that will happen.

BAR is a study dating back that I know of to about 1928, and both of our comments are was ways of getting that response out of others. I see the OCFM so I know you train that information through Russel Stutely, I train in it through one of his Instructors on KYUSHO/TUITE Rick Moneymaker of the Dragon Society Int.

BAR is the bodies response during stress it covers loss of fine motor skills, tunnel vision, the body not moving the way the mind wants it to. Adreniline and endorphin dumps into the blood stream, the reflexs of the body moveing before you can control it, as you described. And happens on both side of the confrontation the attacker and defender.

So I guess I am not wrong I just was not complete. The pushups and such are there to add pressure and cause the results of a Body Alarm Reaction. What ever the reason by the instructor the results are the same.

[

BAR is a study dating back that I know of to about 1928, and both of our comments are was ways of getting that response out of others. I see the OCFM so I know you train that information through Russel Stutely, I train in it through one of his Instructors on KYUSHO/TUITE Rick Moneymaker of the Dragon Society Int.

You train with Rick Moneymaker? Interesting! I haven't had the chance to get to anything he's put on, and now the OCI has split from the DSI I don't know if I ever will. I think it would have been very interesting.

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

ANGELA,

You are in very good hands with Russell Stutely altough I do not know him directly he is very respected by Rick Moneymaker, Tom Muncy, Rand Caldwell. On the Russels website he has a link to https://www.combatkyusho.com. This is Rand Calwells site he has some great artciles and his book is very good. However at this point in your training , I checked via your link drill your basics and technique without them the knowledge will not help.

ANGELA,

You are in very good hands with Russell Stutely altough I do not know him directly he is very respected by Rick Moneymaker, Tom Muncy, Rand Caldwell. On the Russels website he has a link to https://www.combatkyusho.com. This is Rand Calwells site he has some great artciles and his book is very good. However at this point in your training , I checked via your link drill your basics and technique without them the knowledge will not help.

:wave:

Yeah I am on a pressure point forum with Rand, Russell, Mooney and a whole host of other people. I mainly practice my Shotokan (about 5-6 times a week) but I also do my OCFM once a week. I went over to Cyprus to train with Russell and co in February, and he is back in England this month and coming to our dojo for a seminar on bunkai with pressure points.

Anyway sorry this is off topic... so sorry for hijacking the post. :karate:

Master Russell Stutley is one cool guy. I'm off to a seminar with him in Nottingham soon. I'm looking forward to it - he's got a good reputation, and I've heard his seminars are excellent.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I would say my black belt test was tougher. It was just not the same... my brown test was really physical and all in a row, but it didn't last as long as my shodan test. This one was long and more psychological. We could be for 20 or 30 min (I just cant remember) in horsestance. And during that time, if you think, it's too bad, you really have to forget pain. There is more people watching you at a time, you always have too be intense, and I didn't knew lots of people.

so I would say my black belt test was the worst.

*sorry for my english, I speak french...