• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju-Ryu

plainwhitets

As stated before, most of what I said about Goju Ryu was learned from reading and from what reliable sources have told me. However, it appears that most of this information given to me has been either misinformed or misleading, and I apologize for offending anyone. I did have an opportunity to watch someone perform Sanchin, but maybe that person was just doing it incorrectly (all the same, as a preference, I do not like dynanimc tension).

If you actually knew me (hard considering this is an online forum...), you would know that I am never afraid to admit a mistake if I am wrong. Furthermore, a trait of critical thinking demands that any theory you have be disprovable. Apparently, mine was and the overwhelming response I have received from my post (which was mainly meant to stir the hornet's nest in order to get some people to address what I had heard before) makes me believe that my assumptions were wrong. So, I was wrong and as befits a forum for discussion, I posted my concerns and they were alleviated. Thank you for the discussion.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say this thread has been increasing my knowledge on a variety of levels in the wonderful art of Goju! My class got shut down for remodeling of the gym that we practice in until the semester begins again on the 30th. So in the time between then and now, I will be doing a considerable amount of research of the martial art, historically as well as practically for how I will go about learning it. I cannot remember being so emphatically interested in a subject in a long time so its definitely refreshing for me. Anyone know of literature that I can read about concerning Okinawan martial arts or Goju in particular? My first REAL day of practice wont occur for another 2-3 weeks I believe. I think I will visit the section on the forum that has tips for health and conditioning in preparation, as well as trying to mentally prepare myself for something I really want to do. Thanks again and in advance folks and also to Master Jules for being a huge influence!

Slowly but surely

Thank you Dre, for the compliment.....Im very glad I was able to help, and hope I can continue to illuminate your path for you.

~Master Jules....aka....The Sandman

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Shorin Ryuu, thank you for your apology. Sometimes, it can be difficult for a person to properly 'get across' the point they were trying to make, and so misunderstandings happen and tempers flare.

Hopefully this thread will be able to continue peacefully and informatively.

I cannot remember being so emphatically interested in a subject in a long time so its definitely refreshing for me.

Ah, you've been bitten by the Martial Arts bug I see! Well, don't worry, I think that particular insect has bitten the rest of us on here too... :P

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Beginner, although I don't practice Go-Ju ryu but still pretty much familliar with all the katas, Sensei Higaona has a technical series in Go-Ju one of them is just about Sanchin, since Sanchin is a core to your style you gonna love it since he explaines a lot about right and wrong in doing Sanchin,

also try this website https://www.wonder-okinawa.jp

it has a section about karate and has lots of nice katas from different styles of traditional karate to download ,some very old footage of "pinan nidan kata" is nice to see. I downloaded them all and put them on a VCD.

Sanchin can be practiced either with turns or without....as far as the Chi-I-Do organization.....it was founded by Kow Loon (Kayo) Ong, a Chinese master who was head of the Shorei-Kan under Toguchi back in 1973.....I have trained with him and his students for a short while several years ago, and must say....he is one on the most knowledgeable and capable GoJu masters in the entire world, sought after for his depth of knowledge and ability to "do" more than any other GoJu teacher in or out of the states.....he truly is ..."The real deal"

~Master Jules

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Greetings P.A.L.:

I practice Okinawan Goju Ryu. Chi-I-Do is not a "style" but an organization that promotes the practice of Okinawan Goju Ryu.

About Sanchin Kata. The version practiced by most Okinawan Goju Ryu schools is the older version that includes two turns. There is a newer version that has no turns. Aside from the turns, both versions have the same movements. These two versions were developed by Miyagi.

Other versions of San Chin kata outside of Goju Ryu exist in Uechi Ryu, Isshin Ryu and Southern White Crane (Chinese).

The Hammer