• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

circular and linear movements

plainwhitets

I've been researching various styles of karate online and they all discuss linear and circular movemnts, what does that mean? Obviously linear would mean like a direct line and circular, in a circle... but I still don't get the connection to karate... sort of (I hate to sound like such a dork for asking)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

well think of traditional styles..

traditional Kung Fu is usually very circular meaning it moves around alot it isnt in direct lines.

traditional Karate is very linear... very hard low stances adn punches and kicks are very straightforward and powerful.

now that is a fairly bad example.... but it is the best image i can give without getting into dicitonary type definitions.

Pretty good call.

Let me try and make it even cleared in simple terms.

Linerar - the shortest distance between 2 points is a strait line. Linerar MA are comming right at you with all they got so you better get out the way they are going to end it quick if they can.

Circular - Its not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog. Were not going to trade licks but see openings and hit where you are not.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

i never really got into that. for me, circular is sidestepping opponents, hooks, uppercuts, and roundhouse kicks. linear is charging, retreating, pushkicks, jabs and crosses. and i guess elbows. probably not what you guys were talking about, but hey- a chance to poke fun at those old ma's and promote my stuff... how can i resist.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli