• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Study XMA on your own, work on flexibility, balance, and yes, speed. The art forms incorperated in XMA have already been metioned by previous posts, look into them aswell. Check out this site, bilang.com. email the guy he will have some good advise for you. The fact is that few schools teach XMA and it's not very useful in the sense of defense until you are very good at it, extremely. I suggest you go to an actual school to study a real defense art. Hapkido is very good art. Then do XMA on your own... it will be slow, but after you get past the first learning stages you will fly.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Capoeira is definitely a good choice for acrobatics. XMA is extremely good with acrobatics, but that's just about all they're good with..if you're looking for self defense I'd go with something more classic like regular karate or kickboxing, but since you do want something acrobatic, take a look into TKD, or wushu.

• 4 months later...
Does anyone know anything about the style of xtreme martial arts, XMA? I'm a cheerleader (don't comment on that) and well I'd really like to learn martial arts, so I'd like to find a style that would compliment my involvement with cheerleading and vice versa. I would kind of like to learn a more acrobatic style of martial arts, and I think maybe XMA is like that, but I'm not sure, I'm just looking for some clarification or suggestions. Also, can anyone name MA styles that are more concerned with fluidity, speed, and forms. 'thanks

The most acrobatic styles will tend to be wu shu, capoeira, and possibly TKD. XMA is more a way of applying gymnastics and athleticism to an art you are currently studying.

What colleges are you planning on possibly attending? If we know that, we might be able to recommend some schools in the area, or what you can study now that will help when you transfer.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

My three cents would be wushu. What little I've done of it seemed pretty acrobatic to me.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

• 2 weeks later...

yeah wushu is so awesome to watch, but xma is crazzzzy. I was watching an old us open video from 03 i think. A guy in a pink outfit, was a wushu practitioner, this guy was amazing to say the least

~ You first mistake is to underestimate ~

I'm just a little afraid of XMA as a martial art. I don't know enough about it to completely discredit them as an art, but my instructor refers to them as "Flipping screamers - all they do is flip and scream".

Of course, he tends to be a bit harsh. :D

However, whomever started this thread was looking for something acrobatic, and if I recall correctly, they were a cheerleader, so I think XMA might actually fit them better...

Peace;

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker