• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does anyone know anything about the style of xtreme martial arts, XMA? I'm a cheerleader (don't comment on that) and well I'd really like to learn martial arts, so I'd like to find a style that would compliment my involvement with cheerleading and vice versa. I would kind of like to learn a more acrobatic style of martial arts, and I think maybe XMA is like that, but I'm not sure, I'm just looking for some clarification or suggestions. Also, can anyone name MA styles that are more concerned with fluidity, speed, and forms. 'thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

well I'd like to have self defense, 'cause in a year i'm leaving for college and well, a girl needs to defend herself in the world. I'd also like to enhance flexibility and maybe try my hand at acrobatic things. Another goal is to channel frustrations. I hate to be some uber fan, but I guess I like the "flashy" style of karate. I think it would be an interesting experience to train and if I like it, compete in forms competitions, I've seen some, and I was totally fascinated by it all

Well, you'd probably be better looking for a 'sport' or 'freestyle' club, either in TaeKwonDo or Karate.

Wushu would be another good choice if you like flashy stuff.

If you're really into acrobatic moves, Capoeira would also be a good martial art for you.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

dont comment on cheerleader? why not? youre probably hot- i think we should go out. call me.

anyway, if youre looking for flashy acrobatic moves, wushu, capoera, even tkd would be your thing. however, if youre looking for self defense- anything effective will not be flashy at all. real life self defense is nothing like the movies honey, im sorry. good self defense arts are BJJ, judo, boxing/kickboxing (not the cardio kind), and i hear krav maga is quite good though i wouldnt know from my own experience. anyway, flashy or self defense, its either one or the other- or both, but that means youll have to train in two different styles at the same time.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

oh i forgot, though i doubt youll be into it, but wrestling (greco) is an excellent self defense thing. (notice that im avoiding more innuendos- its taking all my strength to do so you know.)

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

• 2 weeks later...
dont comment on cheerleader? why not? youre probably hot- i think we should go out. call me.

NO! he beat me to it. I wasn't going to comment on it, until I noticed it said not to. :wink:

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

Whatever you do...don't join some women's self-defense class...A lot of times they are designed and built around techniques that aren't too effective. They mean well...

If you want self-defense, you may have to choose between a practical school and a flashy school. That stuff only works in tournaments and movies...

I'd recommend Okinawan Karate (maybe Shorin Ryu :D ) but I am a bit biased. Another good bet would be jujitsu. Unfortunately, the case is that since you are a woman, a self-defense situation would involve defending against a larger (male probably) person who would close in on you. Therefore, something that gets you used to fighting close from the get-go would be good (Shorin Ryu does this as well, but it isn't as overt...).

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• 4 months later...

Search on the net for XMA schools. There are several out there. XMA is a curriculum separate from the school style that can be taught to students that involves gymnastics. Find one and visit it several times before you decide. You should also check out other styles as suggested, in paticular capoiera and some modern TKD styles.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/