• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kushanku/Kanku bunkai

Beer-monster

A quick query. I've been thinking through the bunkai to various kata, both when I train them but also on the bus and such. The part of the Kusanku kata when the practicioner drops has been described many ways, as a duck etc. Iain Abernethy (very smart man) described it as a possible low tackle like a shoot or morote gari.

However it occured to me that it may be then defense against such an attack. Kata are said to display the most effective responses and it has been shown that a very effective defense against such takedowns is the sprawl. Perhaps this would be an effective application oif this movement, and the shuto uke in back stance that follows (in Kanku Dai) would well demonstrate slipping around or redirecting an opponent after the sprawl.

Just wanted to know what you guys think of this :D . Anyone ever tried it as such?

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

One of the more intresting applicantions I have heard is the idea that your are surrounded by many attackers at night. When you drop you disapper for a split second. Kanku Dai means to view the sky while you are down you look at the attackers profiles against the sky line. Then you pop back up and attack one.

I have also seen the application that afther you punch the attacker just before you turn into the fall you are grabbing him and throwing him. Body Slam if you will.

I have also used the idea of dunking a stick or bat strike.

I have never taught it as a shoot simply because the knee comes up. But I will look at that application.

Because of the name of the kata I think the first application I listed sounds good. Honestly I do not think it is really a good idea to drop to the ground when being surrounded but it does sound like some good NINJA trick lol.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Well Funakoshi did change the name but why did he change it to that. I mean there is a lot of Japanese words he could have chosen.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

For the opening movement obviously, but would a name based one one motion have any bearing one the rest of a kata. I mean Chinto is called Gankaku for the Crane stance despite the fact that the martial artist Chin To was said to be a highly profocient grappler.

Then again I'm just tossing balls here

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

well the first move in Kanku Dai is ofen said as one looking at the sky. But we were talking about application not nature relationships. The application is breaking a front choke for the first move.

Funakoshi hid a lot of stuff in his kata and teaching of them. We prob. will never know and IMO both are correct but a few other things to keep in mind.

Funakoshi belived in the 5 elements. Earth, Water, Fire, Air, and Void or Space. These are shown in the 5 Heian kata. Shodan is a very basic and powerful kata with the power comming up the legs from the earth. Nidan flows like water from one move to another and is very graceful. Sandan jumps around. Differant moves up the and the stomps comming back it jumps like wild fire. Yondan is a bit softer and uses a lot of motions with the arm like flags in the wind. Godon obviously leaves the groud so aka s the Void.

Point is Kanku Dai is a combo of the 5. We're not sure which came first the Heian's or Kanku Dai. But its simple to see they are very related with the same moves. The most prominate feature in midevil japa n and even today is the SUN. The Sun god was the key to their socity so to view the sky or to view the sun and all other elements are beneth the sun. Sounds like good nature interpation to me. lol

Beer-Monster , I think both application you mentioned are valid, at least better than dropping down and then looking at the sky( that may be your last look at the sky), Heian comes from Pinan

and pinan from Kusanku kata created by master Kusanku from China or his student Sakugawa.

Master Itosu created pinan for PE in schools around

1907 and it seems he used Kusanku kata as a base

for his new series of katas. you need to see all diferent versions of Kusanku in order to get a better understanding of the Bunkai.in one version I have seen,you stop a kick from knee and push the attacker back from his knee then you drop and turn for a low shoot kick or sweep,

God helps us with all of these bunkai(s).

Kusanku is the older of the forms. Karate (Tode) Sakugawa (1733-1815) was known to practice this form, which was created based on the techniques taught by Kusanku. Kusanku was a Chinese military envoy that visited Okinawa around 1756.

Yasutsune Itosu, who was a student of two of Karate Sakugawa's students, created the Pinan forms around 1900, partially based on the techniques found in the form Kusanku.

Originally there was only the 1 form, Kusanku. Now there exists 3 versions of this form: Kusanku Dai (Greater), Kusanku Sho (Lesser), Shiho Kusanku. Yasutsune (Anko) Itosu is credited with creating Kusanku Sho and Shiho Kusanku.

R. McLain