• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

new found respect for muay thai

Well I've gone to the Muay Thai gym 3 times in 3 days for 3 hours a day... came home today started talking smack to my father and he challenged me and I kicked his upper theigh coming down right ontop of his leg like proper muay thai technique not even at full force and I saw him wince in pain, ( my shins are starting to become conditioned), he goes "ALRIGHT YOU f*er comon lets go" he was half joking half showing me how he fights full contact.

He rushed me, (ussually when we spar taekwondo vs taekwondo I will retreat heavily because he's a 5th degree black belt and obviously is better at taekwondo then I), he rushed me and attempted to strike me with a round house and I checked his leg and kicked his other leg and then he threw some punches and I jumped with a knee and nailed him in the chest and my forearm came down upon the side of his neck and collarbone and we ceased the action.

I talked to him about it later and he admitted that the kicked to the leg was extremely effective and that indeed it's a hard style to fight. =) I asked him how he thought I was doing and he said pretty good obvoiusly... this means alot coming from my father lol...

I have dropped all TaeKwonDo training, however I will still use my jump spinning sidekick =)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i hate to tell you but your skills didnt come from 9 hours of muay thai training.

I think its obvious you have trained in other styles, and have just been imitating what you see in the muay thai gym.

redirecting a low kick against a tae kwon do artist to the leg is a great move, but nothing you didnt already know how to do... just saw a different target to hit.

I dont think your shins would be any different after 1 week and 9 hours then before... the conditioning of your shins will take months if not years.

sounds like you are excited though, so enjoy and dont let this go to your head... there will be plenty of times you will get humbled in the muay thai classes.

I agree with luckyboxer on this one. Remember, you did a strike to a soft target, you probably have a long way to go to condition those shins. Keep up the training but don't get too high up on that horse because the fall off of it can really hurt!

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

"there will be plenty of times you will get humbled in the muay thai classes." - o believe me I already have.. the first day I got there I got my butt absolutely whooped on. I figure I train 5 days a week (everday the gyms open) for 2-3 hours a day, and I should be good in about 6 months to a year, ready for the ring =P

hehe.

definitely possible.

but definitely depends on the skill level of those you are fighting.

you could quite easily go to the ring and outmatch an opponent, but you can also go to the ring and have a bad match up and get hurt.

If you are planning on fighting in the ring get a knowledgable trainer handler and make sure he is trustworthy.

Alot of promoters and matchmakers will bring in MEAT to feed their project fighters, or house fighters so to speak. And all to often they are willing to pay a trainer/handler a few hundred bucks to deliver that MEAT

while lucky's right about not getting those skills from three lessons, its still true what you said, i think, that muay thai is a whole different type of training that will prepare you for fighting like tkd doesnt. dont get too big a head yet- youre still a newbie, but hey, youre obviously doing well so keep up the good work and all that cliche stuff.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

Thanks

Yeah, I am starting to get the proper "technique" down. I notice that it wasn't so much my shins hurting as it was the ligaments and tendons in my foot and legs from hitting the bag wrong.

I notice when hitting properly that it doesn't hurt at all. Bring the knee up, and twist your hips swinging your body creating leverage bringing the blade of my shin downwards toward the bag. I love it.

Technique is very important.

Any tips for training.