• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

As new as they come

Emerson

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Hey everyone,

I'm a student in Philly looking to get involved with a martial art. I desire and need the discipline, focus, and conditioning that they provide. Plus I my interest in eastern cultures is growing after taking Chinese.

A couple things about me.

1.) I have wrestled in the past. It's the closest thing I've done to a martial art.

2.) I have flat feet. And I mean FLAT feet. I am worried that my need for orthodics may prevent me from getting involved in a "shoeless" discipline. Which to my limited knowledge, means just about all of them.

Well I'll see you around.

Hiya

I have occasionaly had to train in shoes because I have rheumatoid arthritis, and when it is flared up I need ankles support and a little padding to bear my weight. Any decent instructor will take medical conditions into account, if they don't then just walk right on out of there because that small minded attitude is likely to continue into everthing they do. If they have mats they may ask that you buy shoes which won't rip them up, which is fair enough, but anybody that turns you down flat (no pun intended) is not worth the bother.

Welcome and I hope your search for a MA you love is successful!!

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'll have to find an old pair of Asics.

I wear the Asics shoes. Their mid-range shoes fit well and last quite a while.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.