• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help with a college paper

Would you like to see more or less repetitive drilling in your style?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see more or less repetitive drilling in your style?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

I am doing a college paper and MA is part of the focus. I need several people to provide thier input by answering a few questions. No names, not even screen names will be used. I am acquiring statistical data.

If you would, just reply to this thread. Thanks very much

Questions are intended for those who study Martial Arts formally (IE go to classes, and have an instructor)

1. How long have you been in the martial arts and what is your rank (no disrepect intended fellow Senseis!)

2. What style or styles do you practice?

3. Does your style include forms, katas or some other simmilar exercise which involves preset routines of movements?

4. If yes give a short 1 to 5 word explanation (IE Kata, short sets, puching drills etc)

5. If no, give a brief description of a typical class.

6. Does your training include repetitive drills?

7. If yes, has your teacher ever explained why repetitive drilling is done? and if so, give a breif description.

I really would appreciate a bit of participation, I am currently going to post this on some other discussion groups that don't mind surveys so that I can begin to gain some statistical data. Thanks in advance for your help.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sorry but I think you need to reword the poll. Would you like more OR less, with an answer of yes or no... is that yes you want more, or yes you want less... and vice versa.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Er...Ummm...Hmmmmm Ah...*blushes*

Yeah I think AngelaG has a very good point. Disregard the poll as it was done in a hurry to accompany the survey. Where I really need input is the questions in the body of this message. Thanks AngelaG.

1. How long have you been in the martial arts and what is your rank (no disrepect intended fellow Senseis!)

I have been training for 5 years. I am Shodan in Shotokan Karate, 6th kyu in Aikikai Aikido, ungraded in Okinawan Kobudo (although I'm not planning to ever grade, just training because I like kobudo).

I currently practice Shotokan Karate, freestyle self-defence and Okinawan Kobudo. I trained hard for about 8 months in Aikikai Aikido, but have had to temporarily put that training on hold for a while (due to lack of instructor... :()

3. Does your style include forms, katas or some other simmilar exercise which involves preset routines of movements?

Yes, Shotokan Karate and Okinawan Kobudo contain kata. Aikikai Aikido contains two-person weapons forms/drills.

4. If yes give a short 1 to 5 word explanation (IE Kata, short sets, puching drills etc)

See above answer.

Even though my answer for question 3 was yes, I'll answer this question too. In karate class we usually train in basics (drills), basic and freestyle sparring and kata during the weeks classes. Mondays & Tuesdays are usually kata based, Wednesdays & Fridays are usually sparring based. Saturdays are for working on any of the above. Basics are generally done at every lesson.

Yes, for all of my styles of martial art.

7. If yes, has your teacher ever explained why repetitive drilling is done? and if so, give a brief description.

Yes, Sensei has explained why we do drills - to improve basics, to improve co-ordination, to improve stamina.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I have been training for 4 1/2 years and my current rank is 2nd kyu.

I practice a style called Hon-Shin-Do (The way of the true heart) which has roots in Okinawan Shorie Ryu.

Yes, we have katas, ippons and taezu haru wazas that we practice.

katas - preset movements set to a pattern to defend yourself against one or more opponents. Ippons - one steps which emphasize power. Taezu naru wazas - Continuous flowing motion (speed).

Yes, basics and more basics as well as kata.

7. If yes, has your teacher ever explained why repetitive drilling is done? and if so, give a breif description.

Muscle memory. To be able to react without thinking. Because thinking can get you hurt or worse. If you have to think about what your reaction will be than it's already too late.

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

1. I have been studying the martial arts for around 20 yrs , the highest rank that i hold is fourth degree, but i hold black belt level (first degree) in several other arts.

2. I practice numerous styles, in all actuallity i practice everything that i have ever learned which is a lot. karates, tkd,tsd, aikido, hapkido, ninpo, judo, wrestling, boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, numerous weapon arts, jeet kun do, kaju kenbo, kenpo, kung fus and so forth...

3. yes my styles include forms along with punching and kicking drills

4. katas(or similar terminology of respected language) along with the drills

5. classes vary alot due to the large amount of arts that i have studied.

6. yes, lots of repetition and drilling of the basics

7. I teach the basics and repetition of the basics in drills to master these techniques and so that if a situation arises in the streets these techniques are ingrained in the memory and become more of a reaction than a thought process....i believe that the basics are what wins a fight, not the jumping spinning kicks.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

I've been studying MA's for 4 years. I'm currently working on my red belt again LOL (one before black).

I started in Tang Soo Do (before I moved to NY). Now I do TKD, and dabble in Judo.

Yes, both TKD and TSD does. Judo has two person forms.

We have forms, one steps, and preset self defense drills.

I'll answer this one anyway :D We start out with warm-ups and stretching. Then we do basics. The last half hour or so depends on what the instructor has planned. It could be forms and one steps (like last night's class), or self defense and kicking drills, or sparring and/or sparring drills, ect.

Yes. Our classes typically start out with basics.

Muscle memory. See gheinisch's last answer. He sounded like my instructor LOL.

Laurie F

25+ years, no rank.

Have practiced judo, boxing, wrestling, togakure-ryu ninjutsu, san soo (not san shou). Some studies in Brazilian ju-jutsu, kalaripayit, wing chun, aikijutsu, ju-jutsu (stand-up), thai-boxing, shorin-ryu karate, and kickboxing.

All did, in one form or another.

katas, short sets, punching drills, etc.

N/A

Isn't this a redundant question?

I don't recall any of my instructors ever explaining why. I do know why, however, so it may have merely been that i wasn't inclined to ask the obvious.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Right, sorry for the delay in getting back to actually completing the questions, other than my pointing out the poll paradox :) Anyway, I have finally got my butt into gear, so here goes.

I have been doing martial arts for 2 years this September. I am currently a 4th Kyu. (Out of 10 Kyu grades)

I study Shotokan karate, which I am the 4th Kyu in. I also train in something our organisation does called Open Circle Fighting Method. There are no grades in this, just different levels of instructorship and people who train. I just train.

In Shotokan, yes. In OCFM, no.

26 Shotokan Kata. Kihon. Flow drills. Not in every lesson though… it’s pretty varied.

In some classes we may concentrate purely on bunkai for the kata, in which case we may drill the kata once or twice but the rest is a lot more relaxed. Talk through applications, try them out. Discuss pressure points, work out moves for a variety of situations etc.

As above. Yes. Kihon, flow drills, kata.

As an exercise. To aid muscle memory. To help fitness. To tweak it until we get it right. To keep it fresh in our minds. And partially tradition I guess.

I really would appreciate a bit of participation, I am currently going to post this on some other discussion groups that don't mind surveys so that I can begin to gain some statistical data. Thanks in advance for your help.

Feel free to post it on my forum if you want.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

10 years and 9 months

Tang Soo Do

Yes

kata, 1-steps, self-defense techniques & maneuvers.

Not Applicable

Yes

Yes, such information has been provided in our handbooks.

The repetition of basic techniques is mention a number of times in numberous ways in the 14 attitudes required to master tang soo do, and the points on physical mental and spiritual development. In Mastering Tang Soo Do, one, thus, in turn, has mastered the selfdefense, the philosphy, the art forms included in the system art.