• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

teaching my first class

1st KYU

i am in brown belt now and at my dojo you are required to teach a certain amount of classes before you can grade for your black.

anyone have some suggestions on some activities , drills, or anything i can do?

"Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battle field."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stick to the basics. Don't try and show off by teaching advanced moves and combos. This will help you do 2 things. One it lets you focus on somehting you know well and if a student has a question you should be albe to answer it and prob. answer it well. Secondly it impresses your teacher and will reconize that you know its important to do the little things right and not the big. You have to walk before you can run much less fly. If a person has good solid fundamentals they will do pretty good but you MUST have a base.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

let me make sure i understand completely before i answer.

When you say teach, do you mean that you are going to be completely in charge of everything or do you mean that you will be in a class helping a black belt instructor?

because then you will get two totally different answers

everything. no black belts, just me. i am usually assisting my sensei. i forgot to mention this is a kids class around 10-12 year olds. when i am helping my sensei i take them through the warm up and stretch but this is my first time teaching the full hour.

"Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battle field."

Lots and lots and lots of BASICS. Don't try anything fancy, especially with kids as they could get hurt.

Also, make sure all the children know and understand right from the start that YOU are in charge and bad or rude behaviour will not be tolerated. Sometimes kids can play up if their regular teacher is not there.

Good luck with the teaching! :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Good advise so far. I'm all for the basics. I have to teach class from time to time. My Hanshi has told me to speak up and be heard and be sure they know who is in charge. I'm very soft spoken and that's the biggest challenge for me.:) Be yourself and relax and do what you know. One of the best ways to learn is to teach. Good Luck, I'm sure you'll do just fine!

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

I think basics are great but depending on howmuch time you have try to do a activity at the begging or the end. kids have very short attention spands and if it is strictly basics it might be a bit harder for you.

The ultimate aim in the art of Karate lies not in victory nor defeat, but in the perfection of the character of it’s participants.

I think it would be a good idea for you to go through a basic class. I would go through a series of basics suited to the certain belts. Then I would pair them up, go through the techniques you have just went through in the Kumite Demonstration and let them do it.

Then I would practise Kata.

"To be elated at success, and dissappointed at defeat, is to be the child of Circumstances."

I wish I followed that rule! ^^ I hate Losing!

A foolish question, I know..but you're a brown belt in yoru system, right? By now I would think you should know all the drills quite well, and if you have any questions as to what to teach or do, you should consult with your sensei.

Sorry, but it seems obvious to me. Why do drills that we come up with that might be foreign to you, and may not be suitable to what your sensei would like you to do. It's only an hour class, so there shouldn't be a problem keeping a bunch of lower belts occupied.

*donning my Mr. Spock ears here* Seems logical to me.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"