• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Quick q' concernin Judo/BJJ

quick question , i know my own limitations , and in my eyes this is perfectly achievable , but is it SENSIBLE / BENEFICIAL to be taking Judo + BJJ at the same time , when i have no experience in either , and very little grappling exp.

~swiftbladE~

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Judo will most probably give you bad habits on the ground, however the stand-up portion is excellent.

I'd probably do BJJ for a while first, then start Judo.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

why would Judo give bad habits on the ground?

I dont know how they would combine..

i train in BJJ myself and i love it, from what i understand of Judo its based on sport and points, and like i said im not very knowledgable on it but isnt it not based on submissions?

As a judoka i would switch the words bjj and judo and ground and stand up so it read

BJJ will most probably give you bad habits on the Stand up, however the ground portion is excellent.

I'd probably do judo for a while first, then start BJJ :)

Luckyboxer,

Judo is practiced as a sport with the olympics being one of the highest venues. The rules have changed over time to improve audience retention because of that. Judo matches start with opponents standing with the objective to throw a person cleanly onto their back. If you don't get a clean throw you can go into groundwork. However you have to work very fast towards a pin, choke or submission before you get stood up again. Submission in judo can only attack the elbow joint.

Therefore alot of judoka will turtle up (curl into a ball) or lay flat out on their stomach to stall the match in a hope for a stand up. Also if you pin someone on their back for 25 seconds you win the match, therefore if you have a pin you won't attempt a sub unless your opponent escapes. This creates tendancy for judoka not to fight on their back as much. Also one person can standup which will quickly restart the match.

The rules for competition also prohibit the use of spinelocks, hand on the face, slamming.

I think the reason judo is not as strong on the ground as bjj is because we spend so little time on it. In my club in randori we will allocate 30 mins for groundwork but an hour for standup. If we do combined matches it will usually be 3/2 or 4/1 minutes stand/ground. The rest of the time we do practice thows and drills, while we don't have as rigorous drills for our ground work. There is a strong emphasis on tactics and setups for throwing while ground stategy is left to be learned more by the individual through randori.

I tried a few bjj classes and they are more structured in their ground attacks. I had most of the same moves they had but definitely not as polished as ppl that had been studying the same amount of time in strictly bjj. On the flip side, takedowns/throws to get them to the mat were compartively more easy for me.

As for the original question - i think it would be a great benefit to do both. Without sparking a lineage war, i am of the opinion that taking both will help produce a martial art that is closed to pre ww2 judo.

I asked the same question a while ago. I followed JohnnyS's advice and started out training bjj and began judo several months later. It worked out for me. Judo helps my stand up. Bjj helps my groundwork.

If you want to CONCENTRATE on the ground, then go BJJ. Otherwise, there's virtually no difference in ground techniques, while Judo has all the throws. However, sometimes you'll find a really good school of either one that will have a nice mix.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."