• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi, i wondered if every kickboxing school out there had the same belt system. I heard that some of them didn't even bother using belts.

Where i am, the belts go : white, red, yellow, orange, green, purple, brown, black.

What's your school like ?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sounds like your school uses the traditional belt ranking. i have been to kickboxing schools that dont use belts. its not uncommen that kickboxing schools just think of there art as a sport with no ranking system. much like boxing the school will however be set as light middle and heavy weight.

hope i have been some help,

Henry South

in my opinion there should be no belt's in kickboxing. it isn't karate. it isn't kungfu.it's a sport.i think martial arts and martial sport should be kept seperate.i am a firm believer that kickboxing isn't taken seriously because of the martial arts tag that goes along with it.

On 2001-12-06 18:55, havoc wrote:

i am a firm believer that kickboxing isn't taken seriously because of the martial arts tag that goes along with it.

Do you mean that martial arts aren't taken seriously ? :eek:

I didn't understand what you meant there...

:???:

Anyway, my opinion is that whatever people think, do whatever you think is good for you. I didn't spend half my life learning martial arts so that people would respect me and stuff (you know the kinda "woo don't touch that guy man, he's bad, he's a kung fu black belt :uhoh:"). If i am into kickboxing now, it's because i think it's was the best thing to learn after the years spent in learning kung fu.

Now, if people take that seriously or not, whatever... Reminds me of a girl a know who's doing tae bo to keep fit. I've heard some guys taking the piss out if tae bo but when they met her, they all agreed about how fit she was... :brow:

Well, it's probably not the best example i could have used but as someone said, people are often afraid of what they don't know and taking the piss of it helps them feel secure about it. :nod:

Just some thoughts...

SuperMinh :karate:

i know of kyokushin karate. everyone who knows of it knows it's hard core. however,here in the states the martial arts really aren't taken seriously. most people think of karate in a movie sense or they connect it with something their children do.

kickboxing in america(full contact) grew out of the martial arts. so most of the early fighters were karate of kungfu fighters.they used boxing as a format for their competitions,ring,rnds,ref. etc. however,they usually weren't fit enough for the rigors of ring fighting. fights were usually sloppy with both combatants getting tired and weary. now the reason for this i believe is because of lack of experience and experienced trainers.but you have a country that has been watching boxing for over a century. it has seen it's share of fit professional fighters.now this new fighting sport emerges and the avergage boxing fan watches these fights and sees two weary and by this time sloppy fighters.of course they are not impressed.

now not all the fighters were like this. the cream always rises to the top. the problem was there was not enough cream.

so you see at least here in the states karate is not taken seriously,especially with karate studios on every corner passing out black belts right and left.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer the belt system as it gives a very visual image of a students progress, our school has white yellow orange green blue brown black (with high and low to each colour). As for should kickboxing be considered a martial art or a martial sport, I think that would all depend on the mental aspect of your training, if you incorporate the full martial discipline in your everyday life as well as in your training then it becomes an art, if you just focus on fighting and techniques then it would be more of a sport.

So much to learn, so little time

our schools go

white,pre yellow, yellow, pre green,green,pre blue,blue,pre brown,brown,pre black,black.

thats how our system goes :nod:

when you do your best it`s going to show.

"If you watch the pros, You will learn something new"

::edit:: Edited by Bon

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.