• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Learning bo in Ireland

dvdvd

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to Karate Forums! :)

Have you done a search on google? You might get a list of clubs in your area that train in weapons.

Another suggestion for you would be to contact all the local martial arts clubs in your area to see if they do weapons training. If so, ask them if they'd be willing to take you on as a student.

Thirdly, ask about at school or college or work. Even if you think you'll not get any positive responses you might be surprised. Someone may have a cousin who has a friend whose sister trains with a guy in....

Another option for you would be to check out all the places where martial arts might be taught. For example, village halls, church halls, sports centres, community rooms, etc etc. Phone them up and ask if they do martial arts classes. If so, then ask them if they do martial arts classes with weapons.

Also, if you have a sports or martial arts equipment shop in your area then phone them up and ask them if they know of any good weapons instructors.

Finally, ask at your current MA club.

My Shotokan club doesn't do weapons training (although my sensei is starting to introduce it for black & brown belts), but a student at my club has also trained in Okinawan kobudo. I casually asked one night if people at the club knew of anyone in the area who taught kobudo and he replied "yes, me." So he's now teaching me some weapons stuff when we can fit it in around work and regular training.

Also, if you ask at your club, your own instructor may know of someone who can teach you.

Failing that, if you don't manage to find anyone, then get hold of a GOOD instructional video and work through that at home. I'm not really a fan of learning martial arts only from books or video tapes, but if you can't find an instructor then it is better than nothing. Plus, it will give you a bit of a base for if you ever find someone to train with.

Good luck in your search! :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!