• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help with Gyaku-Tsuki Kizame-Tsuki combinations.

Red Triangle student

Hi all,

I have been having a bit of confusion with the Gyaku Tsuki and Kizame Tsuki punches, or Reverse punch and Front Jab.

What I am really stuck with is the hip twist that gives the move its power. When I twist my hips into a Gyaku-Tsuki I feel very uncomfortable and a sense that I am doing something wrong. I also feel tension pain in my thigh area.

Do you think I should shorten my Stances?

"To be elated at success, and dissappointed at defeat, is to be the child of Circumstances."

I wish I followed that rule! ^^ I hate Losing!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Probably your best bet would be to have a word with your instructor. He'll be able to have a look at what you're doing and see why you're getting the pain. You may be twisting your hips too much and over-emphasising it.

Other than that, yes, try shortening your stances a little, especially if you're using the combo in sparring and not just as a drill excercise.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I was told not to move your front knee in the left - right direction when twisting the hips. That could cause some serious damage to your knees.. Have to keep them straight, poiniting in the same direction as the toes.

Hope that helps :) But you should really ask your instructor too.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Are you shifting your foot wide enough when shifting to Gyaku? You have to open up so you can turn and square your hips foward. When you are too narrow it puts extra stress on the upper thigh hip flexor area.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

No I don't think I am squaring myself off. Thanks for the advice everyone.

"To be elated at success, and dissappointed at defeat, is to be the child of Circumstances."

Huh, day, that doesent happen to me, your most probably twisting your hips to far, or maybe you need to strengthen your legs, lol.

Karate is like an explosion, not like paint drying!

I dont think may leg strength has anything to do with it. Its probably my stances.

The stance should be a shoulder width wide, but is not the major factor in rotation - the length of the stance is the primary factor. When you are "squared off" as you say, your front knee should be over your front toe. If the knee is forward of the front toe, the stance is too short. If the knee is behind the front toe, the stance is too long. It takes time and practice for your body to learn the proper distance without thought.

Also, the primary difference between gyaku-zuki or kizame-zuki (don't remember the proper spelling?) in terms of hip rotation is that gyaku-zuki uses hip rotation and kizame-zuki uses more of a hip vibration or just muscle contraction to execute the punch. Typically in kumite your hips are already rotated in a relaxed 45 degree angle and is one of the reasons that gyaku-zuki is such an effective technique - you're already in position for hip rotation of gyaku-zuki. Kizame-zuki usually only requires muscle contraction or slight hip vibration to effectively execute the jab.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

Yes, Adrian I probably am, I didnt need that mouthful of crap from "Killer Miller" lol, You could have just explained what you thought I was doing instead of critiscising the way I have spelt Gyaku Tsuki.