• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Looking for some good advice

Akima: Yes, it was just the King fu guy who lead me to believe I don't know enough about MA to make a sound judgement on my sons instrutor or his school. That is what got me researching. Other than that all has been fine at the school he is in. The instructor is easy to talk to. In the begining I thought my son was getting board and not challenge enough but we spoke with the instructor and he agreed and has made things more challenging for my son. He is such a nice guy. He is about 25 - 27 young guy!

I searched his name on the internet but found nothing!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like the Kung Fu instructor wanted to impress you with his training coming straight from China versus the kempo lineage that probably has US roots up until the 50s or so (coming via Hawaii).

It sounds like you have a good school and have received some good advice.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Sounds like you did your homework as best as any parent can.

Sounds fine.

Glad to see a parent take a real interest. I see so many kids whoes parents just drop thier kids at class and come back to pick them up.

Sounds like you did your homework as best as any parent can.

Sounds fine.

Glad to see a parent take a real interest. I see so many kids who's parents just drop thier kids at class and come back to pick them up

I'll back that up.

It is good to see someone who is concerned about their child and the training that they are getting in MA. (So a big :up: to ya KARATEKIDSMOM!)

Unfortunately, not everyone is like that - some just see martial arts classes (or scouts or soccer club or whatever) as a babysitting service.

I've got some parents like that in the beginners class that I teach for my Sensei. The parents drop their kids off and go out for the evening and don't seem to care how the children are doing or whether they're enjoying it or anything.

Often, too, the parents who don't seem bothered are usually the ones who are late picking their kids up from class - they obviously feel that we're just there to mind their children for a few hours while they go and have a good time. :kaioken:

It makes me sad to think of how much further these children might progress if their parents were encouraging and seemed bothered in what they were doing.

We have one boy who is very good at kata and enjoys entering competitions. However, his mum & dad don't seem to care about what he can do; it often ends up that me or my sensei or one of the other parents at the club pays for him to enter competitions and takes him to them as well. However, that effort & expense is worth it because he loves his karate and always tries very hard. It just makes me wonder how much further this lad could go if he had his parents backing.

I'll go and get off my soapbox now... :P

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

ya i have to agree with the two posters above me.

We have a few parents who seem to look at the time as their free time more then their children learning something and them taking a genuine interest in it.

It would be nice if all parents took more interest in their children and the activities they participate in

Hey thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately my husband and I learn the hard way that life is very short. We lost our first son at 2 years old to cancer.

It has changed the way we live tremendously. We were always involved in what our kids did but we think diffeerently now. We know each minute of each day is a presious gift.

I love that my son has choosen MA because it has done wonders for his self esteem. We both LOVE to watch him!

HOWEVER, he got punched in the belly the other day and did not defend himself as he was taught. I spoke with his instructor about this he said it happens sometimes because the kids are caught off gaurd. He is working with him to switch into karate mode when he needs to defend himself. And not to fight but to defend and get away FIRST!!! Then if he has not choice and needs to then of couse stike back! Any of you had that happen with any of your students?

HOWEVER, he got punched in the belly the other day and did not defend himself as he was taught. I spoke with his instructor about this he said it happens sometimes because the kids are caught off gaurd. He is working with him to switch into karate mode when he needs to defend himself. And not to fight but to defend and get away FIRST!!! Then if he has not choice and needs to then of couse stike back! Any of you had that happen with any of your students?

We've had a couple of examples of students that have had it drilled into them so much that you DO NOT do karate on your friends in the playground, that they have been bullied and then unfortunately hit. In that circumstance we spend the next lesson making sure that they haven't missed the important part that you can ALWAYS block a punch.

Bless them!

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Exacally what happened here. His instructor always tells him NEVER use karate on your friends in the playground. He instructs them to GET AWAY and stay away from trouble. That is the first step! He is working trying to drill in his head in a real life situation you block then get away if you can! Which I think is a good lesson rather than them fighting! Very hard to figure what goes on in the mind of the 7 year old!

My Sensei is also constantly stressing to the children in our dojo how important it is to not practice this stuff on other people. He gives the same advice; avoid conflicts, don't pick fights, run away if you can. However, he always follows that up by saying "But remember that you are learning a martial art here. If you have NO OTHER OPTIONS, remember your training."

Obviously all kids are going to react differently in different situations depending on their attitude, maturity, etc, but I think Sensei is doing the best he can do with what he's got. Trying not to promote violence, but at the same time, ensure the kids can, and will, defend themselves if necessary. That is the point, after all.

Wap

"Fighting fighting. Same Same"

"But you know karate!"

"Someone always know more..."