• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Looking for some good advice

I was the only one my family that trained. But when I met my boyfriend 4 years ago, he would watch me in class. When we moved up here, I looked for a school, and he joined with me :D He's loving it. Sometimes more than I do LOL.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...he got punched in the belly the other day and did not defend himself as he was taught. I spoke with his instructor about this he said it happens sometimes because the kids are caught off gaurd. He is working with him to switch into karate mode when he needs to defend himself. And not to fight but to defend and get away FIRST!!! Then if he has not choice and needs to then of couse stike back! Any of you had that happen with any of your students?

This happens, and to adults as well. There are a lot of reasons it can happen. Everyone gets caught off guard sometimes- this should decrease as awarenes and experience increase. Sometimes martial artists talk with non ma friends, and the friends decide to try to test the ma's skills. They don't realize that the defenses to their attacks can hurt and cause dammage. The ma does realize this, and hesitates in his response. Another reason might be that, as a begginer, your son doesn't yet have the confidence in his skills. And even experienced ma's get intimmidated sometimes.

Sometimes, I think the 'just run away' attitude is stressed too much. I agree that the best fight is the one that doesn't happen. But we should all realize that this isn't allways possible or desireable. Sounds like your instructor is working to correct this situation now. I'll disagree (to a point) with some here, in that I think that if you have to block something, you probably should hit something as well. You don't allways have to hurt them, but there should be no doubt in their mind that you can and will. If this stops him continuing the attack, you've done both of you a favor. If he continues, at least you are on the offensive instead of defensive.

I'd look at this incident as an opportunity to learn, to reasses your and your son's values and reasoning, and as motivation to continue training even harder. Good lessons for life, the combat lessons are secondary bennifits here. My ever (never?) so humble opinion! 8)

I'll also echo the cudos given you for your interest and involvement. Very sorry to hear about your loss. But you seem to have learned the lesson I was talking about better than most of us, including me. Full salute!

Freedom isn't free!