• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Looking for some good advice

My 7 yo has been takiing Karate since he was 4. The school is close by and the we like the instructor. However, my 7 yo decided he wanted us to visit a local Kung-Fu school and the owner/Instuctor there got me thinking.

He claims the school my son has been in has no "real linage". The instuctor/owner of my sons school is a 3rd degree BB and teaches Kempo style Karate. He was taught at a local school and then became an instructor there but then branched off on his own and opened up his own school.

Any advice for a mom with no MA experience just trying to determine a Dojo from a McDojo! :-?

Thanks in advance, any advice will be appreciated!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How important is lineage anyway?

What's important when teaching kids martial arts? An up to date trained first aider. An Instructor who is police checked. A friendly atmosphere. Safe exercises that won't damage their developing joints. Other kids for them to train with.

Sit in on the lessons and decide whether you are happy with the instruction. Not just with the MA part of it but the whole lot, the people there, the instruction given, is the place clean, hygienic etc etc

Someone will always be telling you that their MA is bigger, better, more traditional... most of the time it is *... only you will know whether it is the right one for you, or the right one for your child!

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

AngelaG is right. Sounds like the KF instructor is trying to steal a student. 'Lineage' doesn't mean that much in our society, especially with kids classes. And in any case it is no guarantee of good instruction. Also, you'll find that with the martial arts, the grass always looks greener somewhere else. Especially when you are just starting out.

I'd leave your son where he is, unless there's a compelling reason to move him. Teach him to stick to one thing instead of jumping around. If he wants to learn another art later, he has the time- he's only seven, after all. And he'll do much better in another art later if he gets a good foundation under him in one art now.

Freedom isn't free!

I'd leave your son where he is, unless there's a compelling reason to move him. Teach him to stick to one thing instead of jumping around. If he wants to learn another art later, he has the time- he's only seven, after all. And he'll do much better in another art later if he gets a good foundation under him in one art now.

I agree.

There will always be a club or an instructor out there that will claim to be more 'authentic' or more 'real' than the one that you're at. At seven years old your son will just be settling into his training - switching schools at this stage could be confusing for him as well as upsetting.

A good reason to switch schools would be if the instructor wasn't teaching correctly or if the place was dirty and uncared for or if the prices were sky-high or many other reasons that are more important than who the instructor's instructor was.

There's more important reasons to switch schools than lineage, especially for a seven year old.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I think you need to investigate any intructor.

Yes, the Kung Fu teacher may be trying to get a student.

At the same time perhaps he is saying that the Kenpo guy does not have valid credentials.

Before I go on, I am not bashing Kenpo.

But I will say that people with Dubious ranks, awards and offiliations, tend to claim "Kenpo" is thier style. If you look in Magazines and online, many "learn at home, get your black belt, become cetified with joe blow" ads associate themselves with Kenpo.

I am not saying that kenpo is bad. I am saying for some reason many martial con artist claim they are Kenpo.

Ask youself this, of any school:

Check the instructors credentials. Check his background!!!!

What kind of contracts does he make you sign? How many classes a week can you/child attend a week? what are the testing fees, uniform fees, other hidden costs? Do you feel like your just another check writter? Does the school seem "cult like"?

As with anything you get your kids into, do some reasearch.

Whew!!!!!! Thanks! this has been real helpful. Not knowing a lot about MA we were happy but I let that Kung-fu guy get in my head.

I do watch all my son classes. His instructor is awesome at what he does. He is so talented. We love watching him perform demos!

His few of his BB students have become jr instructors and they are all good too.

My son is enjoying himself. The school is very, extremly organized and clean. (his mom and sister also work there). They are a very nice family. It impressed my husband and I that they are such a close family that is what has kept us there for 2.5 years.

I never heard that "lineage" comment until my son noticed a new school and just wanted to pop in to see the big "lion/dragon Drum" in the door way. He is obsessed with anything to do with MA.

So Angela, Delta and Aefibird are you instructors or students or both?

I appreciate you help. I may post here (and lurk) just to get myself educated.

Thanks, Cindy

Akima: must have been posting when you were or I just missed it.

The owner/instructor is a 3rd degree BB and came out of a school called "Ocasio's". He taught there then branched off on his own. the KF guy made this sound like something bad or tabu but what is the difference. The KF guy claims he learned straight from a Master from Southern China. Then he opened his school so I can't see the difference.

But because I want to research as much as possible because my son loves it so much I want to make sure he is learning something that later on he will just try and deprogram. I have read a lot of MA people go through that. But how does one tell that the school they have choosen is a good one.

My son can do 6 half hour basic classes a week and 6 15 min BB club classes a week. (min requirement is 2 but they allowed to come in everyday that there age group has a time slot). My son does 4 classes per week. He also does 2 30 min private lessons. those are extra. There are no charges for belts or testing or belt promotions. The 4 - 9 year old test approx every 3 months and move up in rank if they pass.

4 - 6 yr olds are called cubs and they have to go through a full set of belts (takes 2 yrs) then 7 - 9 year old go thru all the belt colors (takes 2 yrs) then 9 - 14 solid belt students train for 4 - 5 years before they can test for BB. So my son started at 4-1/2 yo will not be able to test for his BB until he is 13 or 14 That 8-1/2 - 9 years at that school until he is able to test for BB. Does that sound reasonable. Or is that a money maker to keep the kids in the school longer? The instructor feels kids under 13 are not disaplined enough to test for BB. (a statement I find to be not true because no two kids are alike).

Anyway, any advice you can throw my way is greatly appreciated!

Ah, yes! The old "I studied under a Chinese master" ploy!

Ok one more thing is it "KENPO" or "KEMPO"

Depends. Niether is wrong. Generally, Kempo refers to Japanese systems, and Kenpo refers to those with a Chinese base- like American Kenpo or IKCS Chinese Kenpo. Kempo is a Japanese term, so the term Chinese Kenpo is a little bit of a misnomer.

As for age, most American Kenpo schools won't give a BB untill 17. You can earn a Junior BB before that, but it is generally felt that a child <17 is not developed physically, mentally, nor is he mature enough to take on the responsibility. Those schools that promote young children to BB are generally looked down on by the martial arts community. They are known as 'belt factories', and they are the ones who are scamming for your money. I take it as a goods sign that your school has age requirements. And, it isn't the belt that matters, it's what your son is learning. Not only the quality of his martial/self defense skills, but the values and discipline.

If he's happy there, all the more reason to keep with your current school and not negatively influence his experience there. And the Kenpo/Kempo styles are a good base if he decides later he wants to try something else. Good luck to you.

Oh, I'm a student, not an instructor.

Freedom isn't free!

So Angela, Delta and Aefibird are you instructors or students or both?

I'm both. A dedicated student, still very much learning, but also recently started as an assistant Instructor for the children and teenagers.... very much in training with that as well. :)

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum