• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

japanese to english translations

kambei

well its been buggin me for a while now...i study japanese and ofcourse karate and other martial arts and i have always wanted to know the traditional names of all the techniques and recently i got my japanese dictionary and looked up punch and kick. i was taught that punch was "zuki" and kick was "geri" but i found out that kick is "keri" and there really is no word for punch in japanese.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

We should all learn without using words :)

I wish that we could all use universal translators and nothing would be mistranslated. If you dive deeper into language, it will also make you dizzy when you start investigating different dialects also.

Guess I can help a bit. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

So It's KERI and TSUKI when we talk about the body part. BUT when we add another word with it ... like the technique names they become (mae) GERI and (oi, gyaku) ZUKI.

I've sppoken with a japanese sensei of Goju-Ryu and he explained it to me :karate:

ramymensa, you are correct. Phonetic changes occur with a lot of words in the Japanese language. As you said 'keri' when preceeded by another word, such as 'mae' becomes 'geri',..thats how we get 'maegeri'. Not only in the MA but in everyday stuff aswell.

Er- are you sire about those translations? Punch is Zuki and Geri is Kick. I know lots of Japanese it is all logical. like Age is rising for Uke is Block Age Uke is rising block, get it?

You could just guess what some of the words mean sometimes like Soto-Uke probably meanInside Block and Uchi Uke probably means inside Block.

"To be elated at success, and dissappointed at defeat, is to be the child of Circumstances."

I wish I followed that rule! ^^ I hate Losing!

No, the translations are correct.

The word is Tsuki; it become OiZuki or GyakuZuki (instead of OiTsuki or GyakuTsuki) when it is attached to another term.

However, some people (my instructor's instructor is one of them) still write OiTsuki (instead of the more correct OiZuki).

The difference between Tsuki/Zuki, Keri/Geri and others was one of the things that was confusing to me when I first started to learn karate.

As a beginner it is difficult enough to have to learn a martial art, without coming to grips with the subtleties of the Japanese language as well! :lol:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Er- are you sire about those translations? Punch is Zuki and Geri is Kick. I know lots of Japanese it is all logical. like Age is rising for Uke is Block Age Uke is rising block, get it?

I wouldn't have posted if I wasn't almost sure :D

I used to use tsuki and geri without any thoughts until a friend of mine very involved in japanese told me there are these differences. As soon as I got a real japanese guy in my sight I started bombing him with questions. He confirmed it. My sensei had a very surprised look on his face .. he didn't know about it either :karate: