• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Block for a Backfist Strike

solar_kid

G59champ hit the nail on the head... a knife hand sweeping or pressing block is used. I'm just not sure if you have been taught that yet. Typically you would use the sweeping block, but the idea is not to actually absorb the force of the back fist strike, but to catch the "timing" of the back fist strike when your oponents arm is still in the bent and relaxed state, then just guiding the back fist slightly away from your head. Now your oponent's hand is in perfect position for some kind of grab and/or counter action - typically a sweep and counter punch at the exact same time with both hands. Anotherwise, your oponent does a back fist to temple, you do sweeping knife hand with one hand, and counter punch at the same time with the other hand. Any attack is always a beautiful oportunity for a counter at the same time.

- Killer Miller -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

And don't forget to pivot slightly when you make the block/parry/grab thing. It helps you get out of the immediate path of the incoming strike as well as help in the follow up. Of course your style might do things differently, so please don't take my words as solid method.

ohayo gozaimasu, o genki desu ka.

• 3 weeks later...

I would personally use some sort of palm "slap" type block. But, the best block to use is the block that works for you. I don't mean to come off like a jerk but martial arts should be very personal to the individual. Not everyone is built the same or has the same reflex timing. So, whatever works best for you is the right block to use, unless of course you are doing pre-arranged sparring and are supposed to be doing a particular block in order to practice its use. In any event your instructor should let you know this.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

You can swing your forearm into the path of the fist - possibly injuring their wrist. You can use an inside palm block if you have alot of shoulder flexibility, and are in a reverse fighting stance. You can also use the palm of your lead hand - but you better be quick as heck if you are in a reverse fighting stance (lead fist close the hip, and other fistcloser to neck and chest).

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

I find the best kind of block is just not to be there. I'd do a body-change (tai sabaki) to get in close and hit them. If you like, when you do this, you can do a soft parry inside or outside. Either way would cause the opponent to unbalance if he put any sort of power into the backfist. If I did the body change to the inside, I'd use my left hand to soft parry out and turn into a grab. If I did the body change to the outside, I'd use my right hand to soft parry in to turn into a grab. In both cases, twist the hand and pull inwards to really unbalance him and use the other hand to strike simultaneously. Ask your sensei about tai sabaki if you are unfamiliar with it, but it is basically "working the angle", either through a step and pivot or a pivot and can involve a weight change. The step and weight change can be forwards or backwards, but almost always will involve stepping out at an angle (stepping to the side and forward simultaneously for example). It almost always involves a distance shift as well. Its harder to explain simply in text, so ask your instructor. I think tai sabaki is one of the "easiest" (as in quickest to learn the basics, not to master) way to get the most bang for your buck in terms of learning a new concept.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Vertical backfist? ...For the usual type of Ura-ken I find that Teisho-uke (or palm slap block) works best....

i don't know if anyone else does it... but i sometimes tend to block Ura-ken WITH Ura-ken... anyone else does this??

A true shinobi is not defined by the number or quality of techniques he uses, but by the will and the determinations he has to improve himself...

i don't know if anyone else does it... but i sometimes tend to block Ura-ken WITH Ura-ken... anyone else does this??

I've done that before, but I tend to prefer to use a slapping/palm block.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

.....um, would it make sense if i said we try to interrupt/control the elbow/forearm to control/stop the backfist motion?

well, y'know, what we do depends on where out chosen blocking hand is.....

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."