• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Paying WAY too much for karate lessons?

Coco

Coco,

The fees sound pretty average for South Florida (remember that SoFla is turning into a high rent district). You should call other Miami dojos to inquire about the belt testing to get an idea. I am not too shocked about the test fees myself as it seems to be the norm down here to pay $50 for a test.

My question is how many belts does your system have?

The real value of course is if you feel you are getting value. After you make a few calls you will know.

Edited by Red J

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our grading system goes like this :

White

Yellow

Yellow/Orange(Added recently)

Orange

Orange/Green(Added recently)

Green

Green/Blue

Blue

Blue/Brown

Brown

Brown/Black

Black

I have been looking. No other dojos around, but theres a gym. Might start going there.

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

That is not excessive pricing just because its 70 dollars.

people who say 70 dollars is too much to pay without knowing anything else about it is just blowing smoke up your rear end.

70 dollars can be too much.

it can also be a bargain.

I know of schools of Jiu Jitsu that charge upwards of 200 dollars a month, plus 250 dollars for 1 private.

My school is about 75 - 100 dollars a month depending on the programs selected.

but that amount gets you the ability to train in boxing, muay thai, yoga, tai chi, jiu jitsu, kenpo, and offers a huge facility, and dozens and dozens of instructors.

If you are dealing with a celebrity figure you will most likely pay more.

If you are dealing with the only school in your area, you dont really have a choice.

If you are in an affluent area that may not be alot of money.

the Gracie school in Brazil used to offer classes during the first three UFC matches that were won by Royce for 1500 dollars a month.....insane....

i remember my training partner and myself getting personal invitations to go train there....but man, what a price...just because he became famous after winning those first three UFCs....

luckboxer is correct, like i said earlier, it can be a bargain or it can be a rip off, it all depends on what you are learning and how valuable that knowledge is too you.

you have a good amount of belts....too many for my taste,....but that again is up to you, now when you say that your belt testing goes up 10-30....do you mean each test increases that much...or that it is within that price range...?

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

It increases by that much... White to yellow was 55 dollars, then 65 to yellow/orange etc. By black ur paying about 200-300 dollars

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

I know Iam not getting ripped off. I have two classes a week. My Sensei is Leo kosloski. He is a 9th degree black and the founder of the US Cristian Academy of the Martial Arts and Hon-Shin-Do. he has used all the stuff he teaches he has used. he used to be a bouncer, bodygaurd, ect. AND its all free. Yes I said free

God grant me the sirenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Yellow Belt

Holy Crap!!!! that is a lot of belts. In my school there is only 6 ranks. Excluding the 3 difference brown belt kyu's

God grant me the sirenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Yellow Belt

$70 a month sounds fair to me.

Most martial arts in San Francisco are around $100/month.

I know of some that are $150.

My dojo costs $89/month for unlimited classes, which is a great deal because if you have the time you can train two or three times a day, six days a week!

Osu!

ET

.My dojo costs $89/month for unlimited classes, which is a great deal because if you have the time you can train two or three times a day, six days a week!

lol, not just the time but the money as well! To train as often as that a person would have to not work...

Hmm, it's be great to train at the dojo 3x a day for 6 days a week, though.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

$70AU a month is pretty average for large karate schools over here, but ive heard of other MA and karateschools charging more.

I wouldnt pay more than 70AU a month for any less than three full-on lessons a week though.

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."