• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Paying WAY too much for karate lessons?

Coco

That was too expensive!!

I've inquired in a karate school here in manila, Philippines and they only charge 25Php (=.50USD) and a membership fee of 150.00Php (=1.50USD). I haven't asked about the grading fees yet...

Be good in doing good deeds be the best in doing bad.....

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was too expensive!!

I've inquired in a karate school here in manila, Philippines and they only charge 25Php (=.50USD) and a membership fee of 150.00Php (=1.50USD). I haven't asked about the grading fees yet...

:idea:

Be good in doing good deeds be the best in doing bad.....

I haven't had to pay anything yet because I'm still under a 30 day trial, but I most likely will be joining.

My school has a registration fee (around $150(US), I believe). I think my first month of class is covered by that, I'm not sure what the rest is for (but I will be asking. ^_^ I imagine it's a way to ensure they make some money from people who quit right away.) After that (and buying some patches for my uniform), it's $75 a month. (If you pay for the whole year, you get 10% off, so $900 - $90 = $810) I don't think I'll pay for the whole year though, because I want to be positive I'm sticking with this school.

I don't *feel* like I'm getting ripped off, because I understand this is their business and they have to make money somehow. If anyone feels I am getting ripped off, feel free to comment. :)

~Erin

9th Kyu

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft."

~ Theodore Roosevelt

Oh my.. hopefully that's in Canadian currency, not US?!! :o

Nonetheless, it is expensive no doubt about it. I pay $30CDN a month for 2 times/week (1.5 hour/session) for a high quality JKA Shotokan class. Heck, we even get to train with Japanese masters 2-3 times a year at no extra cost! :karate:

I found out that the $149 registration fee covers the first month of class, plus dues for a couple national and global karate organizations.

Also, the $75 a month lets me attend as many classes as I want. There are classes offered 6 days a week. I've been averaging 3 or 4 (this week I'm shooting for 5. ^_^) I could pay only $60 a month, but that would only let me go twice a week.

Unfortunately I found out belt testing is not included in the cost. :P It's like $25 for my white belt w/ yellow stripe, then $35 for the next 2 belts, etc....

But...I mean...it seems like a really good school! And I can afford it, at least for now...

~Erin

9th Kyu

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft."

~ Theodore Roosevelt

Well, if you feel like you're getting good value then that's a major thing. It's all relative.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Bird,

Yeah, a lot of our guys are students and seem to spend more time at the dojo than they do at class :)

I couldn't physically train that much...

Osu!

ET

I am paying 80 dollars a month I consider it to be worthwhile because I enjoy it. 80 dollars is a small price to pay in comparision to how you feel what the excercise does for your health. You can't put a pricetag on good health

Your mind can make things possible or not possible. If you believe it can happen. Thought creates reality