• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Paying WAY too much for karate lessons?

Coco

Hey, I go to a Shito-Ryu dojo, and i pay 70 dollars a month. The classes are 3 times a week, and the class size is about 10-15 kids. The belt changes are 55 dollars for white belt, and it goes up by 10-30s each test.

Am i getting ripped off? I really love karate but I hear people telling me im paying way too much.

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have you learned how to shoot energy balls yet?

in my honest opinion...that is too much, the most expensive i have even considered to pay is a ninpo class that is 40 taught here in japan....but thats just me,

the real question is whether you think the training that you receive is worth the money that you put into it.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

Our monthly fees are just under $70, and most kyu tests are $35.

But I agree with granmasterchen, it all about the value to you.

----

Hmm. Hello. This is the floor. How did I get here?

is that 70 US? if so thats very exscessive. In Australia 40 - 50 a month (30 US) some places charge 50 US a month but they are full time training centres with gyms and open all hours of the day.

Depends on what your getting out of it though, if my shihan said that for 200 US a month i could train at his place everyday one on one with him..........* yeah i would. But if i didnt look up to him or believe in him i would feel that i was getting ripped off.

Ask your self

1. How often do i train

2. How often could i train in regards to the classes run by your instructor.

3. His level and qualifications

4. How do you feel about your abilities are they improving or do you feel as though its a load of *?

If your answers to these dont make you feel comfortable about the money maybe you are getting ripped off????? if they make you feel as though your getting what you pay for then hey thats great.

The higher the instrcutor is the more it may cost to train with him.

If i told you i was good, you would say i am boasting. If i told you i wasnt, then you would know i was lieing...........

If that's what they charged here, I'd stop going. Seems like an incredibly high amount to me.

I pay $50 CDN per month for UNLIMITED training at ANY of the 25+ dojos in the city. I could go to 2 different dojos every night of the week if I wanted to (though that would make for some fairly inconsistent training). Grading fees are about $30 CDN plus the cost of the belt ($10-$12 CDN).

Maybe the price is so cheap because the association I train with is so big...

At any rate, the amount you are talking about seems way too high. Maybe it's a Canadian thing...

Wap

"Fighting fighting. Same Same"

"But you know karate!"

"Someone always know more..."

Actually most karate schools in my area charge 100/ month or more..

The monthly fees sound about normal to me. Where you're really getting ripped is on the kyu test fees. Why do they increase with every test?

I agree TangSooGuy. Most schools around me charge $100 a month. I think $35 is about average for testing fees (I pay $5 just for the belt, that's it). But where I see the rip-off is the increase of the test fees.

Laurie F

My lesson fees are charged per lesson, rather than on a monthly basis, but it works out at about £35-40 a month, which is about US$55-65 (I think).

Coco, the belt testing fees that you mentioned seem VERY high. Does your school have to rent out another place for testing, or does it take place in your regular dojo?

I'd try and find out where your money is going to - it seems like an awful lot to be paying out, especially as your instructor seems to want to advance you quickly - can you afford to keep paying high testing fees every one and a half months? Maybe you should have a good look round your area to see if you can find a cheaper school.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Well I would say the only reson im going is because it is the only thing that gets me out of the house. It is the only place where I get to exersice.

Yes, I feel like I have improved alot since I started, and im much more flexible, quick, strong and active, although we only train 3 days a week.

Fianlly, no, we dont rent another place for the testing, its on the same dojo.

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

Fom what I've read in your earlier posts, it's small and you are few students there. It's close to your home too.

The fact is small and you can have more attention from sensei is OK and could explain the fees. It also could be an inconvenient. Maybe you'd like to shop a bit aroud. Or stay there if you are feeling alright.