• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My story, and the seek of advice.

Coco

I am really glad to hear that you are looking at this in a positive light, the mentality that you are showing us right now is amazing for someone your age, it is a very nice a respectful thing to post a message thanking us for our replies. I hope all continues to go well, keep us posted and stay positive in life, build that confidence and work hard!

ps. if you ever need private advice i am sure that numerous amounts of us wouldn't mind in the least to help you out, so if you need it send us a pm.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:o My brothers were also maniacs and chased me around with machetes, knives and whatever else was close at hand. Talk to him and become friends. If u don't you'll end up regretting it and as the big brother it's your role to take the first step. PS try learning some submissions :lol: I was also the little fat kid, man boobs and all. MA's changed my life as I am confident (maybe even a jerk :x ) so stick with it and it will improve yours too.

Donkey

you know, advice is what you ask for when you know the answer and wish you didn't :wink: you've gotten lots of great advice here, good luck to you.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

Today's karate lessons was awsome! I felt much stronger and my endurance has built up , I have noticed that it wasnt my endurance going short, it was my mental concentration. Also, i talked to a nutritionist today, and he explained to me that to lose weight and do better does not mean I have to completely eliminate chips , cookies, cake or coke, I just have to eat it MODERATELY, meaning not eating the whole pack of chips like I used to do, but eating one serving, and watching my calories. Even though I started this post 3 days ago, it has helped me more than I could ever help myself in 14 years!

Thanks again guys!

Coco

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

GREAT. I'm glad to hear it. Enjoy your workout and be confident in the good things to come. Don't forget ... never overtrain. Listen to your body signals and take care of it. I agree with the fact you should get out of house at least once a day. You don't have to hang out with the bad people, but make aquaintence with the others. Go out for few minutes. Walk or run. Say hello to the people you know, dicuss weather .. so on. Try to speak to them and put aside your timidity. At school, chose some nice people and eat together, study and walk together. Focus on your self, but on the relationship with others too.

The discussion with the nutritionist is a great step. Congratulations for having the courage and maturity to see you have some problems and you haven't always taken the best decisions. This is a sign you are growing nice :)

Put some order in your life, fill the time with useful things and keep on doing the good stuff. And don't forget to let us know how you are doing. :karate:

I do competitions aswell. I am 14 and I way about 8 stone (English weight) I have started going to a lot more competitions lately and I am starting to win stuff...

"To be elated at success, and dissappointed at defeat, is to be the child of Circumstances."

I wish I followed that rule! ^^ I hate Losing!

I have started going to a lot more competitions lately and I am starting to win stuff...

Great! Keep going! :up:

Post some pics of you with your trophies in the Karate Forum photo album too, if you have some pics to share.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 4 weeks later...

--------------------------------Finale----------------------------------------

First of all, I would like to thank all of you who replied to this post, you dont know what a great impact it has caused in my life. No, I still cant do 500 pushups or 1000 situps, but I have learned alot from this experience.

Ever since I saw your replys, I have started pushing myself, little by little. At the moment, I would probably say im in the best shape ive been so far. Fat in the abs is starting to slowly burn away, arm/shoulder and leg muscles are starting to come out, and I can do more reps on any exercise than ever. Here is the story of how my old days ended, and my new life starts.

After reading all of your posts, I started to actually follow your advice. Now I read back to my first post, and I ask myself " That was me?! ". I cant belive it was so simple to get from the old me to the new me. Simple? Very. I think the major things I changed were -

1. Never drinking anything but water or natural orange juice.

2. While watching a movie, do 10 pushups/situps/squats on commertials

3. Look at the fat in the food I eat, and try to eat low fat things.

4. Training 3 extra days a week, 30 extra minutes a day at the dojo, plus working out at home alot more.

Yes, and it did work. This morning, as I woke up, I looked myself in the mirror, as I flexed my muscles. The difference is huge. In just a few weeks, I managed to drop my weight(not by much), but what really impressed me is the muscle gain.

There were obstacles along the way though... Like for example, my karate teacher made us do some leg exercise... couldnt walk for a week after that, couldnt even do pushups, or when I hurt my finger in combat and couldnt punch right for a few days, but it all paid off.

I guess now its time to stick with it, and pretty soon itll be time to exceed my current limit. What I have noticed though, that I never paid attention to before is that im only 14... Probably my muscles arent even fully developed yet! Now im starting to wonder if this will be bad for me later on...

Well, im in a hurry, thanks for all of you who posted and helped me change my life!

Now studying BJJ(2006)

Coco,

Your situation, IMHO, is more serious than the other posters providing advice for - no offense to the other posters of course.

You expend a lot of calories training Karate and three days a week is ideal for you level - and higher levels as well in many cases. I, and many team members, use to train 6 and 7 days a week. We ate like horses and still were losing weight. Many team members, and myself, has lost so much weight that we were to the point of unhealthy... However, we felt faster and stronger than ever!!!

The bottom line is that we were on the go training so much that we only had time for "junk" and "fast" foods. This type of energy doesn't stay with your body very long to build bone mass, muscle, etc... Thus, a server loss of weight, severe lack of nutrients, and too much training to keep up the caloric intake. While we were some really "bad" dudes (so to speak), we were really unhealthy! Three of the team members had contracted "mono." I was on the verge of this road as well!

I, as well as the others, discussed it amongst ourselves and Sensei (a doctor as concerned for our health), and severely changed our diets and training to better match our metabolic rates. We started to get our weight back where it should be and feeling better than ever. BTW, our overtraining was not our Sensei's fault because our training regimen and activities was far more active than our Sensei knew that we were doing.

So my suggestion is to:

1. Only train at the dojo and home only as much as your Sensei suggests for your metabolic rate.

2. If you Sensei does not have any type of medical background, seek a doctor's or sport doctor's advice and to your current state of health and suggested training regimen. (very critical step two here...)

3. You need to actually "communicate" with your parents (this means to actually "talk" to them!) as to what your interests are and what life changes are necessary to your health and well-being (food, doctor appointment, training requirements, family counseling if necessary, etc.). I've read a little about what your life is like, but I only see a small glimpse of it - so I don't see the true big picture. But "communication" is the key regardless of circumstances. If your parents are busy, this doesn't mean that they don't care about you and your health, they might just be too busy and may not know your situation unless you sit down for 10 or 15 minutes and talk to them. Many times it's as simple as "mom/dad, I need to talk to you for a few minutes..."

I know this may sound a little deep, but based on what I've read so far, it sounds like some serious communication with your parents is needed here. But then again, I may be wrong and not know the whole story here either.

Take care of yourself.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

Dude, did you know that not every person in the universe is the same? That was you, this is me. Im SLIGHTLY losing weight, but at the same time gaining much muscle mass, and I only train for about 2 hours a day, an day has 24 hours... I dont remember ever stating that I never communicate with my parents... Anyways, my mom is starting to have some days taken off at work, and now she knows that I dont wanna eat trash... She dosnt even bother making any high fat foods, she knows I wont eat them.

Thanks for the post :D

Now studying BJJ(2006)