• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

any advice on opening a TKD school?

It is easy to say lots of advertising, but lots of advertising costs lots of money! I opened my own school a year and a half ago, and would be happy to help out. You, or anyone with questions can email me

mike@whitetigeracademy.com

I don't know all the answers, but I will be happy to share my experiences.

GOOD LUCK!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I have been considering opening a school in the NW. I have looked at locations, found insurance providers, and retail wholesalers. I was wondering if anyone would like to share what worked for them? I would like to hear about locations, such as retail strip mall verus more affordable industrial type buildings. What works when advertising. What to expect the first, third, and six months? What hours do you keep when you first open?

Thanks in advance,

Hello Englon.

Have you considered sharing a building with a dance or gymnastics studio? You may be able to share the rent and utilities with someone like that for use of the building for 2-3 days per week.

The problem with that may be if they use the building every day of the week, you would have to stagger the times so that you are walking in as the dancers or gymnasts are walking out.

Also, try any yoga studios or community centers in you area. The problem you may have with commnity centers is that you would have to almost become an employee or representative of that community center. Then they could dictate what you teach, or even who or how many you teach.

Another suggestion is if you do this and don't end up with enough available days to meet in that building, have your students meet you at a local park one day a week (such as Saturday morning). That would be a good day to avoid forms and really work on self-defense, as you may not want to wear full uniform in a public park.

pressureguy

]===[------------------------>

http://www.backyardmartialarts.org

]===[------------------------>

Have you considered sharing a building with a dance or gymnastics studio? You may be able to share the rent and utilities with someone like that for use of the building for 2-3 days per week.

The problem with that may be if they use the building every day of the week, you would have to stagger the times so that you are walking in as the dancers or gymnasts are walking out.

I have seen this work to some degree. If the dance studio has multiple class rooms, then finding open times may be easier. I would also suggest trying to work with a percentage lease rather than a straight per month lease. In other words, pay rent according to how many students you have in a particular month. This may be especially helpful if you have limited start-up capital. Not everyone is open to that type of set-up, but it may be worth investigating. Best of luck

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

I have seen this work to some degree. If the dance studio has multiple class rooms, then finding open times may be easier. I would also suggest trying to work with a percentage lease rather than a straight per month lease. In other words, pay rent according to how many students you have in a particular month. This may be especially helpful if you have limited start-up capital. Not everyone is open to that type of set-up, but it may be worth investigating. Best of luck

Been there. Done that. When they have to "practice up for recitals or reviews, they are there in "extra innings. And them you have some non-pleasant music echoing.

Very True. It is something you would have to watch out for

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

Opening a TKD school is like opening a McDonald's. People know what it is, and it's popular, but is it really good?

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

Opening a TKD school is like opening a McDonald's. People know what it is, and it's popular, but is it really good?

Please remember that there are good and bad TKD schools, just as there are good and bad schools/instructors in all martial arts.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I haven't seen a good TKD school myself, yet all of them claim to teach "real TKD" instead of the "watered down sport TKD".

I don't doubt there are good TKD schools, but I haven't seen any.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.