• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Staff locks?

Does anyone know any staff locks?, if so ,do you know of any good sites with detailed descriptions and illustrations?

I've been trianing for 5 yrs. and have never been tought any.

And i think i should have learnt some by now!

:kaioken: :kaioken: :kaioken: :kaioken: :kaioken:

the best way to get hit is to not get hit at all

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

90% of all staff locks I practice are used against another opponent who is armed with a staff as well. Basic staff locks are pretty simple. Have a guy perform an overhead strike against you. There is a space on your opponent's staff that exists between the grip of his two hands. As he comes down with the over head strike, move slightly to the side, insert or strike the inside (closest to his body) of this portion of his stick. Naturally as he swings down, his arm will come down on top the end of your strategically placed stick. Once that occurs, rotate or twirl the opposite end of the stick, using hand closest to your opponent as a fulcrum. This will quickly lock and throw any opponent who attempts to maintain his grip. You can do this from many different angles and eventually learn to apply it from different strikes. While doing it you may ask yourself why the opponent doesn't just let go of his stick. Practiced from the correct angle and at full speed however, this is very difficult to do. There are of course many other locks, but this basic lock will give you an idea of what to play with.

There are ways to use a staff to aid in grappling with an unarmed opponent. Some ways include: Inserting the staff under an opponent's armpit and cranking outside and behind his body into an arm bar. Allowing an opponent to grab your staff and circling around to apply pressure down on his wrist. Using the shorter end of the stick to apply pressure to the neck while grabbing the arm or belt. These are just a few.

I don't know of any videos or web links though. Perhaps someone else might be able to provide this. I hope this helps.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.