• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Forward roll tips

BritNoob

Anyone have any good advice for a beginner on forward rolls? I'm finding that I'm landing too much on my shoulder (the one I have to tuck under) as I feel a bit sore there after doing a few.

Some tips on technique would be very handy.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Imagine that when a chodl does a foward roll they roll from their head and down their spine, with a shoulder roll (assuming you did a right shoulder roll) you should roll from your shoulder to opisite hip. When you roll and at the end when you rise up your left foot should touch first followed by your right. To start the roll it is ok to practice on the spot but the biggest thing about this roll is that momentum helps you a great deal from slamming your shoulder straight down into the ground! and if your instructor is teaching you properly, momentum is the only reason you would roll like this wether it be from a push or a throw or trip etc etc, as in real life rolling on the ground like a power ranger is not a good idea but im sure you know that. To do the roll. with 3 steps.

1/ Start with your left leg forwad

2/ take two steps (right leg then left leg)

3/ When your stepping with your left put your right hand in the air straight up.

4/ as you put your left leg down you are ready to step through with your right to roll. So swing your right hand across your body 45 degrees and out in front of you curling it around to your left hip as you touch the ground. Your left hand shuold pull back to your side as if you were elbowing some one behind you. When you step through with the right to roll the leg does not fully support your weight as it should be collapsing down into the roll and your left leg should be coming of the ground. The momentum of those few steps definatly helps. Try practicing the roll kneeling to get the technique of that part correct, best of all practice on some nice thick mats if you are just learning this roll.

TIPS : You cant have fear when doing this or you will hit the deck like a lead weight, practice it enough in the most comfortable environment ie matts that are thick, then build it up from there ie: solid floor, continues rolls (4 or 5 as you do get dizzy!)

Your fore arm shouldhit the ground first (i use the term hit loosly) and it should progress down your arm to the shoulder, maybe your going straight for the shoulder.

This is a text book way to do the roll, find your meadian and what worls for you based on this advice then you will master it.

Try doing each movement frame by frame so you get a plan in your head.

If i told you i was good, you would say i am boasting. If i told you i wasnt, then you would know i was lieing...........

Very helpful thank you.

I noticed that otehr students were using more momentum than me, as it was only my second chance to practice rolls I was doing them from a kneeling position. I think I was better than the first time so there is a sign of improvement. I was at least going in a straight line this time :)

rolls are one of the things that students find hardest to learn on average..

some get it right away and for some its a painful ordeal.

one tool i use to help people who have trouble getting the rolls is this...

I get the large work out balls.. you know the ones you lay on and do sit ups or work with weights..

i have the person lay stomach on the ball...

from there they go over the ball and over their shoulder like they are doing the roll..

the ball pushes their legs over and gives them the feel of going over the top, rather then barrel roll when they go over their sides, which in my experience seems to be the biggest problem peopel have.

when you say your shoulder hurts it sounds like you are diving into the roll from a standing position, i would recommend doing it from a kneeling position until you have it and then slowly go higher.

We too use the large balls, they help out alot when dealing with the younger/older crowd. They also give you an idea on what it feels like to do a roll so you can have an idea of what to work for.