• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My first class in Washin-Ryu today...awkward.

I know what they meant when they told me left and right would get confused..when learning even the first kata...You do get confused. I wouldn't leave the dojo afterwards until I got the Breakfall down. As your going backwards you tuck, roll and slap the floor with your hands to stop. I got it thankfully. Worked up a good sweat.

One thing I want to ask about. I noticed certain guys giving me an unpleasant look in the mirror..when I caught them, they looked away..what's up with that? Anyone experience this? Like oh sorry...do I intimidate you by my size? I am 6'1 300lbs. I found the instruction to be good and even the people giving me dirty looks were polite when I was in their space so to speak.

Any feedback? I have the kata sylabus..it's like these are I patterns in the shape of an I. How did you all fair with the pressure of learning the katas in the beginnig? I goofed royally on a couple turns and ended up opposite of everyone..hahahaha.

thanks for reading....good weekend!!

Russ :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hello... don't worry about katas... it's hard to get them at start... u'll get use to it... just keep in mind, that you're starting this... and kata isn't supposed to be learnt the easy, then, that would be foolish to dedicate to one two katas a year, a month or a lifetime as masters used to do... just relax and have fun...

and about the dirty looks.. don't mind... they don't know you... that is normal in a dojo.. people will try to analize you... my sensei said to me when i first started: altought there'll be a lot of guys training, your training will be w/ yourself.. don't mind others....

good look and have fun

If you could improve yourself in only three or two months, everybody would be invencible...

Not such a problem ... the goofs in kata. They happen all the time even if you've becomen a higher rank and are in front of the others ... to demonstrate ... Sometimes you just get carried away and start mixing them ... It just means you've been distracted. After some time you'll know them better and the occurances of such "nice" events would decrease.

As for "dirty looks" ... don't mind them. You're the "fresh meat" and everybody wants to see you and their place in accordance with yours. Like in the wolf packs :D The solution ... make friends and let the time pass. After you'll stop being a "novelty" they'll let you be :karate:

Not such a problem ... the goofs in kata. They happen all the time even if you've becomen a higher rank and are in front of the others ... to demonstrate ... Sometimes you just get carried away and start mixing them ... It just means you've been distracted. After some time you'll know them better and the occurances of such "nice" events would decrease.

As for "dirty looks" ... don't mind them. You're the "fresh meat" and everybody wants to see you and their place in accordance with yours. Like in the wolf packs :D The solution ... make friends and let the time pass. After you'll stop being a "novelty" they'll let you be :karate:

you're right...time is what is in order. thanks. :karate:

ps. Ram..our style is very similar to shotokan..tai kyoku shodan...first kata. I'm positive you're familiar.

I think it's very common in dojo to look at the new students ,they just wanna see your level or sometimes they wanna make sure you donig it right. I am positive it's not a "dirty look". as far as kata you have a life to practice kata , how about

3 years for one sanchin kata? huh! or 10 years for mastery at Kusanku.about wrong turns why you worry? there is no ticket, just turn wrong as much as you want.everybody has done the same thing.