• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What came first?

1. Jiu Jitsu

2. Samurai

3. Aikido

4. Judo

The knowing of Violence and living in no violence brings peace.

Shaolin Chuan Fa

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The samurai studied a hand to hand fighting system similar to what we know as Jujutsu. However, the samurai don't belong on that list as the other three choices are arts and the samurai were a class of people so to speak. Basically, Aikido and Judo were derived from Jujutsu, but they've all added to each other and influenced each other.

Ok after doing some research It appears the timelines fit loosely as such..

JiuJitsu - Samurai - Judo - Aikido

Hope this helps

In the beginning nearly 2500 years ago reference was made to Jiujitsu and its philosophies of which may have occurred during the Choon Chu era (772-481 BC) in China, a period when open-hand fighting techniques were practiced. When the wrestling sport of Chikura Kurabe appeared in Japan in 230 BC many of its fighting techniques and tactics were incorporated into Jiujitsu training. From 230 BC onward, many different schools of Jiujitsu were formed and there is indication that empty-hand techniques were practiced, along with weapons, as part of the samurai warrior's training during the Heian period (ca. 784 AD). In approximately 880 AD, a Diato-Ryu Aiki Jiujitsu school was formed by Prince Teijun.

Heian Period (794-1185)

The samurai's importance and influence grew during the Heian Period, when powerful landowners hired private warriors for the protection of their properties. Towards the end of the Heian Period, two military clans, the Minamoto and Taira, had grown so powerful that they seized control over the country and fought wars for supremacy against each other.

Kamakura Period (1192-1333)

In 1185, the Minamoto defeated the Taira, and Minamoto Yoritomo established a new military government in Kamakura in 1192. As shogun, the highest military officer, he became the ruler of Japan.

Muromachi Period (1333 - 1573)

During the chaotic Era of Warring States (sengoku jidai, 1467-1573), Japan consisted of dozens of independent states which were constantly fighting each other. Consequently, the demand for samurai was very high. Between the wars, many samurai were working on farms. Many of the famous samurai movies by Kurosawa take place during this era.

Azuchi-Momoyama Period (1573 - 1603)

When Toyotomi Hideyoshi reunited Japan, he started to introduce a rigid social caste system which was later completed by Tokugawa Ieyasu and his successors. Hideyoshi forced all samurai to decide between a life on the farm and a warrior life in castle towns. Furthermore, he forbade anyone but the samurai to arm themselves with a sword.

Edo Period (1603 - 1868)

According to the Edo Period's official hierarchy of social castes, the samurai stood at the top, followed by the farmers, artisans and merchants. Furthermore, there were hierarchies within each caste. All samurai were forced to live in castle towns and received income from their lords in form of rice. Masterless samurai were called ronin and caused minor troubles during the early Edo Period.

Judo is derived from Jujutsu. It was created by Professor Jigoro Kano, who was born in Japan on October 28, 1860 and who died May 4, 1938 after a lifetime of promoting Judo. Mastering several styles of jujutsu in his youth, he began to develop his own system based on modern sports principles. In 1882 he founded the Kodokan Judo Institute in Tokyo where he began teaching and which still is the international authority for Judo. Dr. Kano was a renowned professor of Physical Education who helped to create the modern Japanese national system of physical education.

Aikido, a traditional Japanese martial art, was developed in the early part of this century by Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969),

Sumo came first, then yoroi kumiuchi & Kogusoku, then came the unarmed generic version which is called jujutsu after that, came aikijujutsu, Kodokan Judo and then Ueshiba Morihei's Aikido.

(N.B. Jujutsu is a generic term. There are actually quite a few different terms referring to classical Japanese armed and unarmed grappling arts. Kumi Uchi, Hade, Kempo, Kogusoku, Yawara, taijutsu, yawarage and hobaku are all terms for grappling systems. In the later peacetime of the Edo jidai, the generic term of jujutsu came into common usage. Ironically, nowadays in Japan, when you say jujutsu to a native Japanese speaker, they either think that you are talking about Judo or that you are off your rocker.)

BTW, Samurai or Bushi is not a martial art it was an old social ranking in Japan prior to the Meiji restoration.

Regards,

-Steve Delaney

The methods of war become the methods of peace.

thats great.. but i didnt see him actually say that Samurai was a martial art.

He just asked what came first or 4 different things.

it is definitely possible that he thought it was a martial art but /shrug.

One of my pet peeves is when people assume things that are not written or asked about, another pet peeve is when people cannot seem to directly ask what they are wanting to know.

I like the information though, I am starting a research project on the history of martial arts atm, and its been very intimidating and only getting more intimidating by the day hehe

Yeah, well when you see someone list three things that are martial arts and one that is actually a feudal social ranking, some peoples ears prick up. Apples and oranges no?

It's a bit like asking which artist came first,

A. DaVinci

B. Van Gogh

C. Picasso

D. Kermit the frog

Regards,

-Steve Delaney

The methods of war become the methods of peace.

ya but all you are doing is assuming(very possibly correctly) that he is thinking they are all martial arts styles...

What if he is wondering if the samurais predated those styles, or if those styles were part of the samurais abilities?

I see where you are coming from, I am just saying that i have always found it a bit off to assume what someone is asking.

OF course it would have been better if his question or intentions was worded better, would have been easier to answer the question..

I definitely dont want to get in an argument, its not my intention.. i should probably just leave my pet peeves to myself.

:)

JJ as we know it now (not BJJ but TJJ) was developed by the samurai, although the roots of what influnced it probably go back a long ways or something. so we have samurai, who made TJJ. that later was adapted to judo by this one guy, then later still some guy made up aikido.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

yeah i know that crude fighting systems were developed way back when during the early samurai hundreds and hundreds of years ago. but the true arts came to japan during the 16th century i believe. because thats when karate came to japan from china and thats when samurai (tsukahara bokuden in particular) began developing formalized fighting systems for their warriors like kenjutsu i believe and other various forms.