• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MA way of think...

Spielwurfel

Hello everybody... I'm a karate student and I started training karate 3 months ago. One of the motives that I wanted to start practising MA was because of the "philosofy" of the MA... I was always wanted to practise some kind of MA mainly because of the techniques, so I always searched a lot about any kind of MA, and as a part of all this search, I've already found lots of masters proverbs, (that I supperficialy agreed) and estimulated me more to begin to train...

But after these 3 months I feel like I learned almost nothing about the philosofy of karate... My master teachs me a lot about it, and I agree with this way of think, but it's seems to be just superficially... I feel like I don't want to think about the mental meaning of my MA... One example... One day, my sensei told me to enter in certain web site and read the Dojo Kun of karate... I read it, once or twice, and then one other day, when I was trying to do one thing, one of my friends feinted me (just for fun and make me lose my balance), and then I said "You are not following the Dojo Kun, that says that you have to Repress the agressive spirit" (just to make a little fun also, and that was the only teachong that I had remembered), and then my sensei started to say some of the teachings of Dojo Kun in japanese (that was written in that website also), and I understood nothing (I told him that I didn't understand) and I felt myself completely embarassed about that situation...

It make me thing about how seriously I was treating the karate and it's philosofy. (But again, I didn't thought much about that, and even tried to read the rest of the Dojo Kun...)

Now I want to know... What do you guys do to follow the philosofy of your MA and all that stuff??

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Now I want to know... What do you guys do to follow the philosofy of your MA and all that stuff??

I give myself time.

I first read the Art of War by Sun Tzu (not actually written by him, but whatever) and the Book of Five Rings back in 76'. They didn't mean much to me, at the age of 12. I read them again a few years later, and some of it made sense. I read them again a few years later, and more of it made sense. As time went by, as i grew older, as i experienced more in life (and increased my studies in the martial arts) more of what i read started falling into place.

But, i also noticed something. Years of life changes made each reading a completely different experience and i garnered different information each and every time. I realized that every stage in my life was actually based on different preconceptions. That because of one cataclysmic event or another, my perceptions of the world had changed, and with it... the way i examined data had also changed. Like looking at things from different windows of a house... some broken, some tinted.

Give yourself time.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

I agree that in time you will begin to understand more and more. When I was a teenager and just starting in the martial arts I had specific idea's about what I exspected. Now 20 years later I have a complete different outlook as to why I train in CLF. I don't want to fight, I don't want a trophy to show off, I don't want to impress anyone. What I get out of my MA training is a peacefull self-discipline that brings to me a place here on earth that makes sence. Will I ever use what I have learned ? I hope I never have too. Would I use what I have learned ? If the circumstances required it I would act as quickly as possible unleash hell. But I live my life by a code of discipline ( or try to the best of my ability) to live in peace and respect others (golden rule). I use to ask myself why ? Why all the blood,sweat, and tears if I don't show somebody what I can do. Now I just get a towel, place my uniform back to its place, wipe my weapons clean and quietly go about my day.

I do not know of the Dojo Kun of Karate, if it say to repress the aggresive spirit, I can understand it, but repressing the aggresive spirit and keeping it that spirit finely tuned I also understand.

Give yourself some time and study these things you speak of in the Dojo Kun and meditate on them. I think in time you will understand. :)

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

Honestly....

Before I do anything I step back and think, unless I know it is something I have done before, and ask myself.... "What kind of impression would this leave on my honor, and is it respectful?" Another question I ask myself, this sounds stupid, when I cannot think clearly is..."What would my sensei do, or would my sensei do this?" Thos questions usually keep in in check. Something that I think will help you in you Dojo Kun search, it easier words (no offense) I had to do this.

Dojo Kun:

Seek Perfection of Character (will this make you better as a person?)

Be Faithful (always be trustworthy. will people trust you still if you do this?)

Endevor (Always finish what you star ,within reason)

Respect Others (<-- this pretty much explains itslef)

Refrain From Violent Behavior (don't do anything that might hurt someone in anyway unless it is absolutley necessary)

I hope I help in some way.

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

Honestly....

Before I do anything I step back and think, unless I know it is something I have done before, and ask myself.... "What kind of impression would this leave on my honor, and is it respectful?" Another question I ask myself, this sounds stupid, when I cannot think clearly is..."What would my sensei do, or would my sensei do this?" Thos questions usually keep in in check. Something that I think will help you in you Dojo Kun search, it easier words (no offense) I had to do this.

Dojo Kun:

Seek Perfection of Character (will this make you better as a person?)

Be Faithful (always be trustworthy. will people trust you still if you do this?)

Endevor (Always finish what you star ,within reason)

Respect Others (<-- this pretty much explains itslef)

Refrain From Violent Behavior (don't do anything that might hurt someone in anyway unless it is absolutley necessary)

I hope I help in some way.

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

no instant grats here! People need to understand that things take time in this "I want it now" world. Patience man.......

One of the things I love about MA is that its action teaches you philosophy directly and that philosophy is then yours and not necessarily the same as your sensei's. At one stage of my training I was very aggressive and found I was getting injured a lot. Then it dawned on me that my opponents were mirroring my aggression. I would not have believed this simple truth if I had only been told it by my sensei. I am a sceptic at heart.

Then I noticed this was not just the case for the martial arts but for all my relationships and hence the devlopment of a part of my personal philosophy. Sensei's are very important, you must have a good teacher, but the most important thing is to train. The physical act of training is where you learn most directly and develop your own philosophy. Your Sensei, if he is good, will guide your training. Listen to your sensei and train hard and the answers will appear like magic. After training go home and just sit for a while quietly. Explore all the other philosophies, but test them in training. Remember some of the traditional philosophy of the martial arts was developed in very different times and cultures. It could be deemed a bit anti social if we adopted a strict sumurai code for example today. And don't be rigid or afraid to change your mind. Your philosophy today probably won't suit you in ten years time. Living by a strict honor code is okay in theory but can lead to a pretty hefty guilt complex if you're not careful.