• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is the best Martial Art for you and why?

Run-do.

Don't gotta hit nobody, don't gotta get hit. Well, that would be if your concern was self-defense. I think it depends on what you're looking for. Capoiera is probably one of the most interesting to watch performances of, and so many people would say that BJJ or MT are the ones to go for if total protection/destruction is what you're looking for. I think it's all relative.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Run-do.

Don't gotta hit nobody, don't gotta get hit. Well, that would be if your concern was self-defense.

Just curious Beka... What self-defense art do you suggest to someone who is around 40-50 and can't outrun a 18 year old male in the prime of his life, or worse, is charged with protecting a small child who also cannot run?

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

The best style as said before is a very personal thing.

I mean,, give a definition of 'best' in this context and even then people will come up with different things.

I'm interested in fitness, competition , self defense on the street and some applications in my work. i haven't found 1 art that has everything i'm looking for.

currently i crosstrain in boxing, jiu jitsu, krav maga (and some mma)

when it comes to self defense you have to look at your situation i guess.

your shape, your work , where you live etc.

Where I live guns are not common. No single weapon is allowed to be carried for the purpose of self defense.

(well there are some options of improvised weapons)

An art would have to be unarmed self defense against all kinds of attackers. I'd be especially interested in defenses against knifes so if you have anything worth while to look into, be my guest.

I hope to check out escrima kali anytime soon.

so vis pacem para bellum

Run-do.

Don't gotta hit nobody, don't gotta get hit. Well, that would be if your concern was self-defense.

Just curious Beka... What self-defense art do you suggest to someone who is around 40-50 and can't outrun a 18 year old male in the prime of his life, or worse, is charged with protecting a small child who also cannot run?

That's easy. Glock-Do. :D

You make an excellent point though, tommarker... There eventually comes a point where knowing how to avoid getting into certain situations is far more valuable than knowing how to extricate yourself from that situation.

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

Glock-Do. :lol: a good choice.

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

Eventhough I do TKD and I have done TSD (where I learned some Hapkido and fell head over heals for it), I think my MA would be Hapkido. It's not that I think it's the best MA, but it would be the best MA for me. It's just that there is no Hapkido dojangs here in my area. But if there was, I'd be there in a second. I think Hapkido touches on each base of striking, kicking, ground fighting, weapons, ect. What more can one want (if you are a Korean stylist like me)?

Laurie F

In MY opinion-yes, MY opinion. I am saying my opinion because people sometimes seem to get offended when you express your opinion because they seeem to think you are voicing lots of other peoples thoughts and are going against their opinion. It is only my opinion.

Well...anyway, I think that the best Martial Art is Karate, preferably Shotokan Karate. My reasons for this? Welll, Karate is the most logical Karate in my view. It is based on the defence and behaviour you would use on a common fight. It has been developed to be extremely clever and cunning. Both in Philosophical ability and Physical ability. :karate:

Also, in my opinion Karate is fun and interesting to study. The Japanese culture is a really good discipline system, plus it really makes Karate enjoyable. :)

"To be elated at success, and dissappointed at defeat, is to be the child of Circumstances."

I wish I followed that rule! ^^ I hate Losing!

I'll throw in a vote for Shotokan karate as well.

If for no other reason than the fact that it's the only martial art I have studied so far. So I'm completely and utterly biased. :)

Wap

"Fighting fighting. Same Same"

"But you know karate!"

"Someone always know more..."

I'll throw in a vote for Shotokan karate as well.

If for no other reason than the fact that it's the only martial art I have studied so far. So I'm completely and utterly biased. :)

Wap

I agree... :D