• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have always trained in traditional tie karate-style uniforms, but I've been putting up with them for almost six years and I am tired of the strings coming undone! I want to try a V-Neck, and I want a good quality uniform that will last. Not too heavy, not too light. Does anyone have suggestions?

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've never had an Adidas V-neck, but I've heard bad reports about the cheaper end of the Adidas range of MA uniforms.

Apparantly, the dearer ones are fine, but the cheaper ones tend to tear and shrink very easily.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

No offense, but what kind of knot are you tying that comes undone all the time? I don't think I've ever had that problem, and I usually have a problem UNTYING them after class :)

As for V-necks, can't help ya..

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

I have never had a problem with the ties on the traditional uniforms (except once or twice as a beginner), but being a girl, I do perfer the v-neck :) I do have both.

As far as uniforms, I like the Proforce brand. The regular ones. Don't get the "Lightning" ProForce brand. They are way thin and shrink. But the middle weights are good.

Laurie F

I noticed that the guys in my dojang don't have the same....ahem....problems. Maybe it's my chest! I don't think that martial arts uniforms are really catered as well to both body types (especially my jiu-jitsu gi...which has no ties and totally falls open all the time!)

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

I noticed that the guys in my dojang don't have the same....ahem....problems. Maybe it's my chest! I don't think that martial arts uniforms are really catered as well to both body types (especially my jiu-jitsu gi...which has no ties and totally falls open all the time!)

You can buy female-specific gi's (mostly they're Judo gi's, though), that are cut slightly differently and have ties or velcro or press-studs(poppers) in strategic places to stop the gi flying open and causing embarassment. :blush:

However, they're very expensive to buy. I've never had one, as they're hard to come by in the UK. I got round the problem of my gi flapping open by sewing an extra tie onto it, about 4-5inches above the regular side ties.

If you're interested in a female-specific gi, then I know that Adidas make a women's judo gi. I'm not sure about other manufacturers.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Reading this thread, I have to ask... Is it that uncommon to wear a t-shirt underneath your dobak/gi?

I believe it is required for KSW students to wear a black t-shirt under their dobak, so I just automatically assumed all other martial arts did the same.

The dobak top coming open and exposing... emm... anatomy :D is just not an issue for us.

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean