• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

best weapon for forms

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tough choice. I've been training with the bo now for about 9 mos and love it, but also recently started learning sai forms and am enjoying that as well.

Would have to stick w/ the bo I think. You don't dump your first love when something new comes along. :P

Res firma, mitescere nescit

yeah, the staff is versatile and can be very pretty, and the forms are just over all fun to do. it also just seems like a good foundation for one.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

good foundation but i definately wouldnt say it is the best..i like the chinese blade (dao or tai chi etc) because u can throw more movements like footwork into ur form instead of focusing solely on the weapon. plus u can do all sortts of pretty stuff with it.

yeah, but the same could be said of the staff. i really love it; i still have my very first one, even though it's to short for me an has been through a house fire and has been warped to hell and back. it's like my son :P

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

I practice with a variety of weapons in kobudo, but my favorite would have to be the bo. But then again, there are nights that tonfa or sai just feel right, and the flow with them is almost magical!

My least favorite is the nunchaku by far. I can work them pretty well enought I guess (non-flashy stuff), but I've never really liked them very much. To many bumps/bruises I suppose on the back of my head, shins, elbows, and once to the groin (learned a good lesson of what NOT to do that night! :roll: ) I also had a real nasty experience once with the kama, requiring 12 stitches to the bottom of my foot after class (not my smartest move that night).

Weapons...a truly unique learning experience at times! :lol:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah, i'm with you, i really don't like nunchaku. even the flashy stuff gets pretty dull.

i gotta' say though, the coolest weapon forms are the ones with obscure objects, like a chair (horse bench), a mop (staff) or i once saw a cool one with a two liter bottle of soda (no idea what that was imitating... it was cool, though :P ). umbrella/cane. it's just neat to see something different every once in awhile, especially when you really get used to seeing staff, nunchaku, sword over and over and over again.

i've also seen some super cool chain whip forms, come to think of it. i seem to recall reading somewhere that the chain whip was more of an accessory weapon, and you really didn't use it unless you lost your primary weapon, so techniques are kind of limited ( :-? ). seems wicked hard to learn, though.

I'd have to say the most interesting weapons kata I've seen was a guy doing a 20' bullwhip kata. He cracked that thing and in the gym with wood floors and cement walls, it sounded like a 30-06 going off! The entire place came to a standstill until he finished. I can't say it was good, but it was "different". :)

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"