• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Flashy techniques

Only the Chinese systems. The Japanese/Okinawan history is quite different in this regard....

i get the distinct impression that the majority of people out there thing that we (chinese, japanese...) are all the same....

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WW thank you for the eye opener, I've been away far to long. I have much homework to do on the history of ma's. I reley on my past experiences alot and the closest I remeber of flashy techniques was a jumping side kick. It not hard for me to think that centuries ago people that had nothing but time to train didn't think of "flashy" before we in the 21st century did, my bad. I still respect a simple tech. but I will open my eyes :o ! thanks ! :)

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

Thanks WW. I didn't know that either.

As far as how I feel about "flash," Flash is trash without the basics. I know someone else mentioned that, but oh well. I love to watch the flashy moves and I have learned some for fun. But I know that they are useless. But if you don't have a solid base down, you won't be able to do those moves anyhow.

But I haven't learned any flashy stuff lately. I love the basic moves more. A good ol' solid punch or kick gets the job done.

Laurie F

Flashy moves are great fun but there is a limit to how many you can put into a form, the form should be 75% basic moves and 25% flashy moves tops and if you keep to a format of basic set then one flashy kick, basic set then one flashy kick, ect. instead of a couple of basics and then a million flshy moves you form will still be flashy but you still keep a good amount of basic move

F.E.A.R.-False Evidence Appearing Real

"just jump flip and kick its that easy"

"It's all in your head, get over it"

2nd Degree Black Belt

Instructor @ MAI Karate in Canton, Connecticut

I've been a judge/referree at tournaments since 1980 and I have no problem with "flashy" techniques, as long as they have a purpose other than for show. Flips, splits, weird faces (wish I had a camera for some of them) etc. are not rewarded with good scores in my opinion. I, as a kata judge, look for power, precision, good technique/balance. timing and control. regardless of the type of kata they do, or the system they practice. I have seen countless times, competitors that will throw a high, flashy kick during a kata, that has no more power behind it than if you were slapped in the face by a 9 year old girl. When I see that sort of technique, especially out of black belts ranked as high as 7th Dan's, I will deduct one whole point out of a possible 10 because they are doing something that would be useless in a fight. Now, if they did that same techniqe with good power behind it...fine, I have no problems with that.

The same goes for weapons competitors, especially the nunhauku. Holding the weapon high on the stick gives you easier handling properties and ability to do much flashier techniques, but the power is DRASTICALLY reduced by doing so. To the point that they are handing a weapon capable of crushing/shattering bones, but by holding it high on the stick, they geneate only about the amount of power necessary to leave a bruise....period. I will give anybody doing that sort of technique a low score, regardless of how well they can twirl the weapon, and how flashy it is.

I must be doing something right in this regard, as I am consistently asked to be the center judge during kata competitions in both empty hand and weapons. I have also been asked and given seminars in PROPER weapons handling and usage by numerous sensei that have competed and recieved low scores because of their previous technique during tournaments.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

The same goes for weapons competitors, especially the nunhauku. Holding the weapon high on the stick gives you easier handling properties and ability to do much flashier techniques, but the power is DRASTICALLY reduced by doing so. To the point that they are handing a weapon capable of crushing/shattering bones, but by holding it high on the stick, they geneate only about the amount of power necessary to leave a bruise....period. I will give anybody doing that sort of technique a low score, regardless of how well they can twirl the weapon, and how flashy it is.

I'm glad to hear this SS. I agree that there is just a tad too much emphasis on flash, and not on function, in forms competitions.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

The thing with me is I would NEVER do flashy moves in a form. Breaking, maybe, but not in forms. I am a forms geek, and I rather do it properly than mess it up with a non traditional move. Eventhough I know I can do some of those moves, I wouldn't when competing in forms. That's just me, though.

Laurie F