• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Flashy techniques

More and more you see a martial artist using the craziest strikes in their kata...flash kicks, scorpian kicks, etc...I just want to see what peoples opinions are on these techniques....are they ok as long as they are not smatterd into a kata just for the wow factor or should the gymnastic strikes be left out for more traditional strikes...opinions?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is perfectly ok to use flashy techniques in katas as long as you know youre bases and what really works there in terms of combat and competition. i love trying flashy techniques(too bad i suck at them) because they are a lot of fun and build great coordination as well as improving youre over all shape as a person and a martial artist. ive seen a lot of people diss the flash. if u dont like it thats cool u dont have to do it but i hate it when people insult it just cuz they are sour at the fact they cant do it. there is absolutely nothing wrong fancy moves i think.

Flashy techniques are usually those harder to master and apply and could be considerred as a height in technical skill. They are "acrobatic" enough to be hard to do for the "normal" people, so it's a reason enough for me to try them. If they are hard and only few can do them, then I'll try :karate: In "hot" situation I'd rely on "usual" stuff, but once masterred a flashy technique could be good as well ... with speed and power, not telegraphed. So from a personal view I don't have anything against them. I'm always keen on learning new stuff and if it's difficult I'm happy :D

Im totally for flashy techniques....I just hate when I see martial artists go around and try to tell people that if they mess with them he'll do his tornado kick and kill him, it just has no purpose....

Flashy is pretty, and a great way to get into show business. However, it has very little business being applied in the streets.

All in all, it matters what your goals are.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Flashy is pretty, and a great way to get into show business. However, it has very little business being applied in the streets.

All in all, it matters what your goals are.

I agree with WW...however, in my opinion, the flash stuff is ruining the martial arts.

I won't mention any systems by name (do I need to?), but several of the more prevelant "martial arts systems" that you'll find on nearly every street corner in America aren't what I personally would consider a viable "martial art" in the true sense of the word. They have become a sport, where flash is emphasised over effectiveness. The flashier the better.

At one time, these systems were a viable "martial art" with strong LOW kicks and good hand techniques, and now (from what I've seen of them anyway, which is quite a bit) you have systems that are, IMHO, little more than a acrobatic, aerobic and gymnastic based systems for exercise. They are no longer what I consider a true "martial art" that can be used effectively in a street encounter. Sure, it's great exercise, but if you got into an aerobics class at your local health club instead, you'd at least have great looking women wearing tight, skimpy leotards instead of bulky, loose fitting gi to look at! :roll:

Many systems are getting away from their true roots and practices because the American people like flashy things, so instructors, in an effort to keep enrollments up (and money in their pockets), incorporate "flash" into their training to make the people happy and keep them walking through their doors every week.

IMHO, if you want to do all that flashy stuff...fine, but quit calling it "martial arts", because it isn't any more. How about Gymnastics-do instead? Isn't that what TaeBo is all about?

And as long as I'm on a rant here,these same "Gymnastics-do" systems I'm referring to turn out black belts in as little as two years (sometimes less) that think they can handle themselves in a street confrontation because their sensei says they can, and they have some neat trophies that they won in "Our system only" tournaments, where again, flash is emphasised, encouraged and rewarded with trophies, promotions and pats on the head by their peers and instructors. How many of these people that any of us know (I personally know of several) that have gotten involved in a real fight on the street, and found that what they have learned is next to useless, and ended up getting their butts handed to them?

An example of this is a young man I used to know named Brandon. About 12 years ago, Brandon was the top ranked adult heavyweight light contact sparring champion for the Northwestern United States. He was 18 years old at the time. On the last day of school during Brandon's senior year of high school, he got into a fight with another young man that had just 6 months of boxing experience. Brandon told me it was a fair fight, where the two met in an alley after school (along with a couple of dozen bystanders), squared of and started fighting. Brandon told me he got just one kick into the the guys stomach, but just "touched" him, and then the other guy closed on him and beat the crap out of him. Brandon quit his "Gymnastics-do", lost all interest in the arts, and as far as I know, has never pursued another art again.

OK, I'm getting a bit wordy here...my apoligies, but basically, I feel incorporating flash techniques into a good system, ruins that system and makes it far less than it was. Eventuially, there will be very few true "martial arts" left in the world for people that want, or need to learn how to defend themselves as it was intended.

Just my $.02 worth.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I feel incorporating flash techniques into a good system, ruins that system and makes it far less than it was. Eventuially, there will be very few true "martial arts" left in the world for people that want, or need to learn how to defend themselves as it was intended.

"The few, the proud, the :karate: !"

I sort of agree with you and WW, or at least understand and can empathize with you. But if what they want is Xma, there's not much I can do about it- or would, for that matter. Who am I to dictate another persons' path?

As for the decline of true combat or self defense martial arts- maybe some, but I really don't think it will be that bad. And it is possible that the reverse could occur. The flash draws attention and gets people interested. But if they want realism, they will sooner or later start to question and look around. I know one TKD instructor that, the minute someone starts talking about real fighting skill they are sent to another reality based TKD school to see what it's about. There are no hard feelings if the student makes the switch. You gotta respect that! Too bad there aren't more instructors and schools like that on both sides of the issue.

Freedom isn't free!

Flash is great to see and I like to watch it and wish I could do half the stuff that some of this young kids can do. I totally see Shorinryu Sensei and WW points as well. One must not confuse flash with workable, proven techniques used in the streets.

The one thing I remember most about the XMA special that was on the discovery is the quote made "flash is trash without the basics". Lets all remember the foundation on which we build our house that we call Martial Arts. IMHO :)

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

But if what they want is Xma, there's not much I can do about it- or would, for that matter. Who am I to dictate another persons' path?

Oh, abolsutely delta1! If someone wants the flash, and doesn't care about actually working in a real fight, then by all means, point them at any of a dozen dojos/dojangs in a half mile radius of any decent sized town. Again, not pointing fingers at any specific system, but God knows, there's no shortage of flashy schools out there.

As for the decline of true combat or self defense martial arts- maybe some, but I really don't think it will be that bad. And it is possible that the reverse could occur. The flash draws attention and gets people interested. But if they want realism, they will sooner or later start to question and look around.

True, but the one thing that bothers me is that most sensei that I know, that are doing truly ineffective systems, really believe that what they are doing will work in a fight...and it just won't! Not unless the guy they're fighting stands still like a post and says "Hit me!" anyway. And the guy that walks in off the street..your typical person...what exposure does he/she have to the arts? TV abd movies..right? And what do we all see constantly on most TV shows and the movie screen? Flashy crap! Right? so, your average Joe Schmuck walks into a Gymnastic-do school, signs up because he wants to jump high, smash boards, whoop-a$$, and take on 25 people at once just like he saw in the movie last night. Riiiiiight! he just doesn't know any better..and the sensei wants his money, and will tell him "Ylou'vbe come to the right place Mr. Schmuch. We teach the ULTIMATE MARTIAL ART TAHT IS OVER 2,000 YEARS OLD AND WILL TEACH YOU TO DECIMATE YOUR OPPONENT!!!"

*sigh*...OK, I admit it...I'm an old, foolish traditionalist when it comes to the arts. Maybe I need to start wearing a rainbow colored belt, declare myself a master and actually make some money off this stuff. but would I be able tio sleep at night? No, but I'd probably be RICH! lol

I know one TKD instructor that, the minute someone starts talking about real fighting skill they are sent to another reality based TKD school to see what it's about.

But admit it delta1...don't you think that this guy is the exception, rather than the rule in that regard? I've sent people to other schools also that wanted to break boards and fly throughg the air. I will tell them right away that we don't do that sort of stuff (and why we don't), and send them somewhere else.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

SS, it's difficult to argue with you, because I think there's a lot of truth in what you say. I guess I just have to observe that things tend to ballance out and hope for the best. Also, when you look honestly at it, there have never been that many truly devoted martial artists at a given time in any society. And, by some standards, I wouldn't be included in that select group (nor a lot of us, probably). So I'm just not that worried about it.

If what you want is flash, acrobatics, neet looking moves, it's available. If you want a belt factory, it's there, as are the social clubs and fitness bunch. Sport, there's more all the time. But if you want fighting skills, there are a lot of realistic systems, as well as the shorter reality based systems. There are also still plenty of traditional 'do' schools. People will usually find what they want.

Freedom isn't free!