• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

weak karate students?????

luke_f34

unless you really are being taught nonsense, if the things you learn don't work, chances are, it's your fault.

Did you used to work at my school :)

I disagree wholeheartedly with this statement.

Learning styles affect the way we learn. I couldn't spell until I was about 25, someone showed me how they learned to spell and suddenly my spelling improved in a big way.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all up to the individual. Drive and willpower are very important, because those who can drive themselves to keep on going when they're tired will excel when the ones who stop at the first drop of sweat won't. In my dojo, there were a few people who were unhealthily overweight. Person #1 worked hard and pushed himself to do better each and every day. He didn't lose all the weight he wanted, but he gained more stamina than most of the other students and became healthier than 90% of them. Person #2 did just what was required (and poorly at that) to skim by, and he stayed at his unhealthy level.

As others have said, you aren't necessarily unhealthy if you're overweight. You can be strong, fast, have a lot of stamina, etc. and still be overweight. The thing that matters is the fitness part of being overweight. If you're a couch potato who's exercise consists of reaching for the remote and walking from your bed to the couch, you've got a problem. If you're overweight and healthy, you're not going to be as hindered or hindered at all by your weight.

Just my opinion.

Dear all ! An average student spends about 5 to 6 hours in the dojo each week hopefully from a credible instructer ,this period should be devoted to learning martial arts techniques ,sure we have warm ups and sretching as small part of the class but the time in dojo must be for karate ,you want to get fit in doing karate then do karate !

I know people who can not bench press 150 ibs but can knock out a horse with one punch ! outside of dojo one can compliment his training with what ever ways of strenght training one thinks necessaryfor his own benefit and accoarding to his age and body type.

never give up !

Dear all ! An average student spends about 5 to 6 hours in the dojo each week hopefully under the guidence of a credible instructer ,this period should be devoted to learning martial arts techniques ,sure we have warm ups and sretching as small part of the class but the time in dojo must be for karate ,you want to get fit in doing karate then do karate !

I know people who can not bench press 150 ibs but can knock out a horse with one punch ! outside of dojo one can compliment his training with what ever ways of strenght training one thinks necessary for his own benefit and accoarding to his age and body type.

never give up !

The amount of "fitness" activity provided at each dojo will differ depending on the instructor's beliefs. I know an instructor who believes that he/she is responsible for the students' fitness level, and 30 minutes of each class is devoted to running, jumping etc. On the other hand, another instructor I know believes that karate class should be solely about karate; physical conditioning should be done at the student's own discretion. Personally, I am leaning towards the belief advocated by the latter instructor. Additional training is good, but I don't think its the responsibility of the instructor.

Even if your not in shape, if you take the time to hit the boards and your trying to make a difference...that is the right mindset....EFFORT. :)

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei