• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

weak karate students?????

luke_f34

I agree with the others. The lower ranks especially the adult over 30 group tend to be a little on the heavier side when they start. The longer you train regularly the more fit you tend to get. Do not let appearances be too decieving.

I've seen many Black belts who looked a little flabby and out of shape who could run the younger guys into the ground.

You do not have to be a perfect example of physical fitness to excell in MA. I know I might be quite winded in a cardio class but I would be the last man standing after a 4 hour training session.

There are different degrees of fitness.

I agree. The Chief Instructor of my karate organisation always looks like he eats nothing but burgers and fries all day long, but that is a very deceptive appearence. I've never met anyone yet who is as quick or as skilful as he is.

Fitness and skill isn't always measurable by the size of someone's waist.

(although looking like you're in shape generally means that you are).

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and well, we can't actually see how you do your 60 press-ups

or how they do theirs.

numbers mean nothing if the quality isn't there.

i can't do 60 press ups (of the standard that i would actually count) but i bet you couldn't keep up with my punching warm ups....

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Shape has more than just the exercise. Perhaps a practitioner is in a good school with a good fitness regime, but than they go home and eat junk food day in and day out. They can exercise their heart out, but nothing is going to omit the fact that they poison their system with the food they eat.

There's different types of fitness anyway. I have very good cardio from running, swimming, cycling - but have me sparring and I'm breathless after a few minutes because I'm not fit in that discipline (I'm a beginner). I'm also not that strong or flexible and have bad balance - I'm not fit in those areas either. But for me, the desire to succeed in Karate is a real motivation to try to become fit in every area, so it's made me put a lot of work in that I wouldn't otherwise be doing to try and bring my weaknesses up. I guess (or hope) the same would be true of most people who start at my age (30s).

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

Some people who have started Karate may do it for the sole reason of keeping fit-or losing weight- that is why you may see some people struggling. Other people though, seem to lack dediacation to the true spirit of Karate-Do. This lacking leads to laziness that is always going to stop them working.

Personally, I find that if you enkoy Karate and like to perform well and dedicate yourself in a class, then those people who do this will be the fit ones.

So, do you think a possible explanation of overweight people in Karate is due to lack of Dedication?

"To be elated at success, and dissappointed at defeat, is to be the child of Circumstances."

I wish I followed that rule! ^^ I hate Losing!

I try to look at how much have they improved compared with how they are now. If someone weights 300 pounds and are down to 250, then it's a good thing they are working out, compared to just seeing someone for the first time and judging them based upon first view. They'll also come to the point of either getting fit to pass the tests or giving up because they think they'll never make it. They may also see you doing all those pushups and get inspiration knowing that it can be done if you work for it.

yeah. now I get it. my karate intructor is a 9th degree black belt. he has a gut but the things he can do are amazing.

God grant me the sirenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Yellow Belt

Well, Im 14, weight 165, and im 5'6 , pretty chubby. I can beat ANYONE in my class, Including a 13 year old black belt, 13 year old brown/black, 16 year old 6 ft white belt, 14 year old green belt thats taller then me, and many more kids around those stats. Im only a green belt, and i can bearly do 15-20 pushups, but i can do 200 situps. No, i dont even have a 4 pack... go figure.

Edited by Coco

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

This is the way I see it. I am an overweight Martial Artist, but I can, however, run about two miles, and do more then 20 push ups without getting tired. I think it is more of the stamina that a person has and thier mind set. Granted, I can't jump ten feet vertical, but I am a good Martial Artist. My instructor honored me, not to long ago, a compliment that I took to heart very seriously.

I said: "Thank you for you honorable presence in my life and your respected knowledge. As well as the challenges that I am not able to overcome in one night, along with the frustrations that go along with that."

He said: "The only reason I challenge you to your breaking point of frustration is that I know that you will overcome those challenges. If the biggest worldwide known MA tournament asked for one of my best you would definately be on the top of my list. If I put you in a weapons class you would figure it out. If I put you in a grappling situation, you would figure it out. If I put you in a room full of 100 other martial artists and told you you could not go home until everyone of them give up or are passed out on the floor..... eventually you would go home."

I also believe that it depends on the instructor (s). If they are clogging your head with nonsense like, don't worry about it you don't have to do push ups, sit ups, running, jumping, if you feel that you can't. If you feel that people will make fun of you because of what you look like. I think the instructors should be like mine. Suck It Up and Do It, we will wait until you are done with your set or laps. And then they pull you off to the side at the end of class and explain why they push you so hard. If you do not understand my thinking, please e-mail me about it and ask, and I will explain more.

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

You are right. A good instructor knows you and your strenghts and weaknesses. Better than us sometimes :) They know how much to push you, to understand you and help you work in a healthy and correct manner. It's important to see how much your student can handle and help him raise that limit without injuries.

Weak students can grow strong fast.

Lazzy students have no chance, except for changind their attitude. :D