• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

loose blade

i recently bought a katana. (yes, it is stainless steel, yes, it was completely cheap, and no, i am not going to use it in a martial art.) the blade on it wobbles around a TINY bit when i move the sword around. is there an easy way to fix this?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Okay, if its a cheap sword then it could be half tang I'm 99% sure(which means the blade doesnt run all the way down the handle) that is what I think it is.

ShoDan Ho - Kwanmukan

if the blade is wobbling, i don't think it's even half tang. if it's dirt cheap stainless steel, i think i know the sword you're talking about (generally comes in a set of 3?), and the blade was just stamped out of a sheet of metal and fixed into the handle. it's a stage prop, not a weapon. if it's the sword i'm thinking of, that is. and even if it was just because it was half tang, there's nothing especially wrong with that if the sword is light enough. i've never known a half tang sword to wobble.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

bingo.

i've seen 'em go anywhere from $20-$150. they're not "swords" as much as fancy toys. there's no way to fix it. sorry.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

yeah, it came in a set of 3, and the blade stop at the hilt, i think. the handle feels hollow. so there's no way to fix it?

Well, if you're only using it as an ornamental piece then the loose blade shouldn't really be an issue. I don't think there's any way to fix it.

I have a v. cheap katana that has a loose blade on it, but seen as it only hangs on the wall above my PC (along with my Shodan certificate) then the fact that the blade wobbles isn't a problem for me. I never use it - it just looks pretty on the wall!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

yeah, i suppose they are merely cool conversation pieces. they are false edged so they couldn't do anything anyways. the set i got was a 3 piece samurai sword set off ebay, costing a total of $32 i think. they look cool at least, ha. thanks everyone. maybe i'll get a bokken to mess around with...