• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

White Belt in Karate Shotokan... Doubt...

Spielwurfel

Hi everybody... I created this topic topic to ask the opinion of you about one thing... Well... I've been doing Karate Shotokan for 3 months, and in my point of view, a thing that I'm not going very well... I mean... Not so good as other of my sensei students... I can't compare myself to anyone of them because I do Karate just with other 2 friends, in the house of one of my friends... And the other white belts of my sensei practice karate in other place... So it's impossible to compare...

I became more confused when in one of our training, my sensei said "Your not going so bad... For white belts I mean" (Ok... It's was a good comment, but just after telling it, he said "I had already much worse white belts" (That wasn't a very good comment... :P ), so, I became more confused... :S But, sometimes, he makes us do somethings like inverted katas and other things, that, according to two of my friends (one of them is my sensei student, and other is student of another sensei), their sensei just told them to do that things (like the inverted katas) in other grade (I thing, like in the following belt of the white belt)...

So I thought that if my sensei was asking us to do that on the white belt, when we were supposed to do on the following belt, me and my friends must be going very well for white belts...

If you understood all that I've said, so tell me... What's your opinion about my situation?? :-?

Sorry about my english... I'm brazilian, so I'm not very good in english... :P

Thanks for the help... :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Spielwurfel,

Your English is better than my Spanish, and far better than my Portuguese (which I can understand, but not speak.)

As for your situation, it sounds very normal to me. Some people are natually very athletic, and learn quickly. Other people are very uncoordinated and it takes them many months to do the techniques. Most of us fall somewhere in between these two groups.

Sometimes a teacher will give white belts a technique or concept that is more advanced than their level. They don't expect you to do it. Instead, it is more of a mental test, to see how their students react to new things.

Boa sorte, meu amigo.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Spielwurfel,

Your English is better than my Spanish, and far better than my Portuguese (which I can understand, but not speak.)

As for your situation, it sounds very normal to me. Some people are natually very athletic, and learn quickly. Other people are very uncoordinated and it takes them many months to do the techniques. Most of us fall somewhere in between these two groups.

Sometimes a teacher will give white belts a technique or concept that is more advanced than their level. They don't expect you to do it. Instead, it is more of a mental test, to see how their students react to new things.

Boa sorte, meu amigo.

Hum... Interessante... Não sabia que os senseis faziam esse tipo de teste nos alunos... :) Eu deveria já ter desconfiado... :P Há um bom tempo atrás, em uma de minhas aulas, eu fiquei meio irritado porque o meu sensei fez a gente fazer muito exercício físico e eu já estava muito cansado, mas ele ainda nos fazia treinar karate... Ele percebeu que eu estava com raiva (apesar de eu não ter deixado isso muito evidente), então ele nos mandava treinar alguns golpes, e antes da gente começar a treinar os golpes, ele os demonstrava (apesar de que nós já sabíamos como aplicar os golpes) em mim, e ele estava acertando os golpes com força, com alguns chute na perna, e uns dois na cabeça (Nossa!! Aquele chute na cabeça me derrubou!!!)... E eu acho que era também um teste mental (não pelo golpe ter sido na cabeça... hehe... :P), mas sim para ver como eu reagiria, se ia ficar mais irritado ou conseguiria me

acalmar... Quando eu me lembro daquilo eu dou até algumas risadas... :P :lol:

I hope you understand... I tried to srite as simple as possible... :)

Desculpa por ter escrito tudo em português, mas já que você entende, então eu prefiro... :P É mais fácil...

Thanks my friend!! :)

For the other people that don't know how to read in english, here is the english version:

Hum... Interesting... It did not know that senseis did that kind of test in the students... :) I should already have perceived it... :P Some months ago, in one of my classes, I got a little irritated because my sensei made we do much physical exercise and I was already very tired, but he still made us train karate... He noticed that I was a little bit angry (despite I do not have let that very evident), then he sent us train some punches ans kicks, and before we start to train the punches ans kicks, he demonstrated them (although we already knew how to apply them) in me, and he was hitting the kicks with strengh, with some kicks in the leg, and two in my (Wow!! That kicks in the head threw me down!!!)... And I think that that was a mental test (not because of the kicks in the head... Hehe... :P), but to see how I would react, if I would become more irritated or I would calm down

When I remind about that until laught... :P

Keep going with your training!

It's only natural for you to feel a little confused by certain aspects of training in martial arts, especially as a beginner.

Your Sensei is probably trying to see how much you can handle. If you keep on trying, even if you're not sure what you're doing (or even not sure what the heck is going on) then he'll respect that. If you give up at the first hurdle then he's more likely not to want to challenge you and push you in your training later on.

It's quite normal to feel that you're worse at a technique than others in your class. However, don't be tempted to compare yourself to other students, even if they are the same grade as you. Instead, keep on going and concentrate on being the best that you can be.

Good luck with your training! :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Keep going with your training!

It's only natural for you to feel a little confused by certain aspects of training in martial arts, especially as a beginner.

Your Sensei is probably trying to see how much you can handle. If you keep on trying, even if you're not sure what you're doing (or even not sure what the heck is going on) then he'll respect that. If you give up at the first hurdle then he's more likely not to want to challenge you and push you in your training later on.

It's quite normal to feel that you're worse at a technique than others in your class. However, don't be tempted to compare yourself to other students, even if they are the same grade as you. Instead, keep on going and concentrate on being the best that you can be.

Good luck with your training! :)

:) Thanks!

Memorizing stuff is not always the hardest thing. Our mind can handle the information. The problem is down ... all the part from the neck down :D Our body isn't used to it. He can't learn this quick and it always makes mistakes. It takes some time to make it remember the moves and even more time to do it naturally. Fortunatelly, with some effort we can master our techniques :karate:

Memorizing stuff is not always the hardest thing. Our mind can handle the information. The problem is down ... all the part from the neck down :D Our body isn't used to it. He can't learn this quick and it always makes mistakes. It takes some time to make it remember the moves and even more time to do it naturally. Fortunatelly, with some effort we can master our techniques :karate:

:D

I still have trouble remembering katas. The worst is when you are stopped in the middle for instruction then I just forget where I am and start to do part of another kata. :roll:

The more katas I learn the more forgetful I get. They start to look the same after a while.

I must be getting a little bit of whats his hiemers... :P

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.